VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Removing Dependents From Award

Rate this question

jhman

Question

Hello, I have 2 kids, both living with me going to college. Question is if my son decides to quit college and go into military do I report the month he moves out? Or if my daughter moves out also same question. And if there is an over payment do I send that back or how is that calculated.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hello, I have 2 kids, both living with me going to college. Question is if my son decides to quit college and go into military do I report the month he moves out? Or if my daughter moves out also same question. And if there is an over payment do I send that back or how is that calculated.

I would reccomend that you send an IRIS inquiry asking just those three questions. I, for one, am not qualified to answer them.

Thank you so much for responding!!!

Not sure but I believe you have 60 days to report change in dependent status. Overpayments are generally deducted from future payments as a means of convenience for everyone. College bound dependents need not reside with you to be claimed, they just simply need be counted as dependent the same way as for financial aid reasons. You technically need not even claim them on your taxes, as many disabled vets are claimed as dependents by a spouse or other family member for tax benefit reasons. At least that is how it is run for GI Bill and Ch. 31, which I have been told is the same regs for disability.

Best rule to follow is to report changes post haste to avoid any sort of 'penalty' but it is expected that college bound dependents may not reside in the same place as you, thus if they simply move out, i wouldn't sweat it, as long as they continue to attend school at least 3/4 time and earn passing grades you should be good.