Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Stressor Letter And Proof

Rate this question

vetwifie

Question

I want to say that I have found so much information on these forums. I don't think I would have been able do all research without all of you. I can't thank you enough for the education I got on these forums. I am putting together a stressor letter for my husband and I want to include supporting documents. Can someone please look over what we have so far and tell us if we are on the right track or if this is a waste of time.

My husband was in Kuwait/Iraq in2003/04. He was assigned to camp security entry and exit points for American base camps in the area. He traveled in convoys in and out of Iraq/Kuwait daily. He doesn't have any combat medals but his DD-214 states he was in an immanent danger combat zone. His stressor is that his humvee was shot at. It was just him and another soldier in the humvee and they never did report it. At the time, they just wanted to forget about it. Plus it happened very close to the end of their deployment and they just wanted to come home. When my husband arrived home, he was enrolled in PDLC school so he was still active duty. The instructor noticed that he wasn't participating and looked very distant. They sent him to see the doc and a chaplain. He was excused from school due to Post Adjustment Disorder and Acute Stress Disorder and they told him he would feel better in a few months and he can finish his school. He never got better. He got worse. He now has a diagnosis of PTSD from a counselor and a VA psychiatrist. The VA asked for a stressor letter so that is what we are working on for them. Since the indecent was not reported, would a buddy letter from the soldier who was in the humvee with him suffice? I am planning on including the following documents along with the stressor letter. Any input on what else would help would be greatly appreciated

* Stressor Letter

* Letter from VA Psychiatrist with PTSD diagnosis and confirming the incident has resulted in PTSD

* Buddy letter from soldier who was in the humvee with him.

* DD-214 showing he served in a combat zone

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

A new claim starts everything over from now.

If you are successful now , then you may be able to retro if they made a big error on the first claim.

First things first....get rated for PTSD .

We will be putting in a claim tomorrow. When you say get rated for PTSD, is his VA Psychiatrist diagnosis of AXIS 1 PTSD with depression good enough? I understand they don't consider outside reports from psychiatrists or psychologist anymore. Should there be a second opinion from another psychiatrist? I am guessing that he will have to go to another C & P exam. I don't think they would use the one done 9/1/2010. Or would they just use his VA Psychiatrist progress reports?

I have to say again. There is so much good useful information on this site. I good to know we are not alone in this. Thank you again.

Thanks Bergie. We not only have a letter from me, but his sister, & friend wrote letters too. My husbands psychiatrist read mine and said I showed signs of anger.

Am I angry?? You betcha I'm angry!!

The VA denied PTSD then scheduled C & P. The denial letter is date stamped April 16, 2010 and the C & P exam took place on September 1, 2010. 5 months AFTER they denied it. I have the denial letter and the letter that has the C & P scheduled date.

What exactly does the denial letter state in the Reasons and Bases section in regards to PTSD ?

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

" When you say get rated for PTSD, is his VA Psychiatrist diagnosis of AXIS 1 PTSD with depression good enough? I understand they don't consider outside reports from psychiatrists or psychologist anymore. "

Ok,

here is what I know.

I am being treated for PTSD by the VAMC in Las Vegas.

Before that in Houston and before that St. Pete and Manchester, NH. Medicationand counseling and a occasional stay on the locked ward to calm down. None of those doctors was willing to write a NEXUS (medical opinion stating PTSD was caused by service)from my service in Vietnam to the PTSD. So the will treat you for it, just not stick their neck out , at least that is my case.

Now for disability, the VA wants you to go to their VA C & P guy and he/she are supposed to decide if your PTSD is real and if it is because of your service. There is a difference.

Do you understand the difference?

Carlie,

The reasons for denial make no sense to me. The first reason they give is because at the time, my husband was seeing a private psychologist who diagnosed him have PTSD but they do not recognize her credentials.

She later said this was the first time that they did not recognize her credentials. OK. so I understand under the new law that you need a diagnosis by VA appointed psychiatrist. I'll agree with that.

However, there is a second denial reason they list. My husband was also seeing a VA medical center psychiatrist who said he meets criteria B, C and D but not criteria A. Which I understand from the VA website criteria A as the Stressor. My husband DD-214 list that he was in a combat zone. To my understanding, under the new law, we didn't need a stressor. When we spoke to DAV, they suggested writing one up so that is where I'm at now.

I don't know what good that will do since the PTSD claim isn't in the system. I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels here. I think I will take NSA-Saigon's advise and just start a new claim.

It looks as if Washington state was sending me on a wild goose change. They just pick and choose what they wanted to approve. Maybe I'll have better luck here in Florida.