Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Adaptive Equipment

Rate this question

JayBrown1

Question

I was just wanting to know if anyone has been awarded Adaptive Equipment and if so, What exactly did you receive from the VA?

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I haven't requested any but here's some info.

http://www.vba.va.gov/VBA/benefits/factsheets/index.asp

Veterans with Service-Connected Disabilities

Automobile and Special Adaptive Equipment Grants

Department of Veterans Affairs

Can a Veteran Receive Financial Assistance From VA to Purchase an Automobile?

Yes. Financial assistance, in the form of a grant, is available to purchase a new or used automobile (or other conveyance) to accommodate a veteran or servicemember with certain disabilities that resulted from an injury or disease incurred or aggravated during active military service. The grant may also be paid, if disabilities are a result of medical treatment, examination, vocational rehabilitation, or compensated work therapy provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

The grant is paid directly to the seller of the automobile for the total price (up to $11,000) of the automobile. The veteran or servicemember may only receive the automobile grant once in his/her lifetime.

What Disabilities Must You Have to Qualify for the Automobile Grant?

A veteran or servicemember must have one of the following disabilities to qualify for the automobile grant:

loss, or permanent loss of use, of one or both feet

loss, or permanent loss of use, of one or both hands, or

permanent impairment of vision in both eyes to a certain degree

Does VA Pay to Adapt a Vehicle?

Yes. Those qualified for the automobile grant, and veterans or servicemembers with ankylosis (immobility of the joint) of one or both knees or hips resulting from an injury or disease incurred or aggravated by active military service may also qualify for the adaptive equipment grant.

Adaptive equipment includes, but is not limited to, power steering, power brakes, power windows, power seats, and special equipment necessary to assist the eligible person into and out of the vehicle. Contact should be made with your local VA medical center’s Prosthetic Department prior to purchasing any equipment.

The adaptive equipment grant may be paid more than once, and it may be paid to either the seller or the veteran.

How Can I Apply for an Automobile and/or Special Adaptive Equipment Grant?

You can apply for the automobile and/or the special adaptive equipment grant by completing VA Form 21-4502, Application for Automobile or Other Conveyance and Adaptive Equipment and submitting it to your local VA regional office. The instructions on the VA Form 21-4502 contain a list of adaptive equipment that has been pre-approved for particular disabilities.

Note: After you complete and submit Section I of the application, VA will complete Section II and return the original to you. You are responsible for obtaining the invoice from the seller, updating Section III, and submitting the form to your local VA regional office for payment.

If you are entitled to adaptive equipment only (i.e., service connected for ankylosis of knees or hips) you should complete VA Form 10-1394, Application for Adaptive Equipment – Motor Vehicle and submit it to your local VA medical center. Additionally, VA Form 10-1394 should be completed for approval of equipment not specified on the VA Form 21-4502.

For More Information, Call Toll-Free 1-800-827-1000

or Visit Our Web Site at HYPERLINK "http://www.va.gov"'>http://www.va.gov" http://www.va.gov.

Compensation & Pension Service – July 2008

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Thanks for the information. The prosthetics department at my VA Medical Center told me that they will only pay for wheelchair carrier for the back of my car. The only problem with that is that I don't have a wheelchair or scooter. I need to do some more research on this.

I haven't requested any but here's some info.

http://www.vba.va.gov/VBA/benefits/factsheets/index.asp

Veterans with Service-Connected Disabilities

Department of Veterans Affairs

Can a Veteran Receive Financial Assistance From VA to Purchase an Automobile?

Yes. Financial assistance, in the form of a grant, is available to purchase a new or used automobile (or other conveyance) to accommodate a veteran or servicemember with certain disabilities that resulted from an injury or disease incurred or aggravated during active military service. The grant may also be paid, if disabilities are a result of medical treatment, examination, vocational rehabilitation, or compensated work therapy provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

The grant is paid directly to the seller of the automobile for the total price (up to $11,000) of the automobile. The veteran or servicemember may only receive the automobile grant once in his/her lifetime.

What Disabilities Must You Have to Qualify for the Automobile Grant?

A veteran or servicemember must have one of the following disabilities to qualify for the automobile grant:

loss, or permanent loss of use, of one or both feet

loss, or permanent loss of use, of one or both hands, or

permanent impairment of vision in both eyes to a certain degree

Does VA Pay to Adapt a Vehicle?

Yes. Those qualified for the automobile grant, and veterans or servicemembers with ankylosis (immobility of the joint) of one or both knees or hips resulting from an injury or disease incurred or aggravated by active military service may also qualify for the adaptive equipment grant.

Adaptive equipment includes, but is not limited to, power steering, power brakes, power windows, power seats, and special equipment necessary to assist the eligible person into and out of the vehicle. Contact should be made with your local VA medical center’s Prosthetic Department prior to purchasing any equipment.

The adaptive equipment grant may be paid more than once, and it may be paid to either the seller or the veteran.

How Can I Apply for an Automobile and/or Special Adaptive Equipment Grant?

You can apply for the automobile and/or the special adaptive equipment grant by completing VA Form 21-4502, Application for Automobile or Other Conveyance and Adaptive Equipment and submitting it to your local VA regional office. The instructions on the VA Form 21-4502 contain a list of adaptive equipment that has been pre-approved for particular disabilities.

Note: After you complete and submit Section I of the application, VA will complete Section II and return the original to you. You are responsible for obtaining the invoice from the seller, updating Section III, and submitting the form to your local VA regional office for payment.

If you are entitled to adaptive equipment only (i.e., service connected for ankylosis of knees or hips) you should complete VA Form 10-1394, Application for Adaptive Equipment – Motor Vehicle and submit it to your local VA medical center. Additionally, VA Form 10-1394 should be completed for approval of equipment not specified on the VA Form 21-4502.

For More Information, Call Toll-Free 1-800-827-1000

or Visit Our Web Site at HYPERLINK "http://www.va.gov"'>http://www.va.gov" http://www.va.gov.

Compensation & Pension Service – July 2008

I was just wanting to know if anyone has been awarded Adaptive Equipment and if so, What exactly did you receive from the VA?

I received the auto grant back in 1999 when it was still $9000. It is up to $11000 or more now.

I am authorized adaptive equipment for two vehicles in a four year period.

for adaptive equipmet the va pays for..... air conditioner (back and Lung problems) power stering, brakes, windows, locks. In addition I get automatic transmission, and a wheel chair lift and raised roof on my van. All told a handicapp van cost about $60,000. After my adaptive equipment, and Ford incentives, and exemption of taxes, I pay about $15,000 for the van.....

Last May I bought a $40,000 F 150. After incentives, VA payment of adaptive equipmet, Ford discount to DAV members, and Ford mobility grant, I got the vehicle for $19,000.

If you have to buy an adaptive vehicle try to find a dealer in your area that will accept teh va paperwork for the adaptive equipment... and Ford offers more incentives to Disabled veterans than any other dealer....

I received the auto grant back in 1999 when it was still $9000. It is up to $11000 or more now.

I am authorized adaptive equipment for two vehicles in a four year period.

for adaptive equipmet the va pays for..... air conditioner (back and Lung problems) power stering, brakes, windows, locks. In addition I get automatic transmission, and a wheel chair lift and raised roof on my van. All told a handicapp van cost about $60,000. After my adaptive equipment, and Ford incentives, and exemption of taxes, I pay about $15,000 for the van.....

Last May I bought a $40,000 F 150. After incentives, VA payment of adaptive equipmet, Ford discount to DAV members, and Ford mobility grant, I got the vehicle for $19,000.

If you have to buy an adaptive vehicle try to find a dealer in your area that will accept teh va paperwork for the adaptive equipment... and Ford offers more incentives to Disabled veterans than any other dealer....

Teac,

Really good post !

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

The automobile allowance is increasing to $18,000 either Sep. 1 or August 1 of this year. I don't recall if they increased the amount for adaptive.

I applied for the automobile allowance in April of 2010. I have been watching the claim on ebenefits, occasionally sending an IRIS, 4-5, and a couple of calls to the 800#. In the last 6 months I have received 2 phone calls from the RO, 1 was to get clarification on what I was claiming and what I was explaining as symptoms, and the other was about a FOIA request for any instruction or training letter on rating a partial knee replacement at 10%, instead of 30% by 5055. Both of these people said my automobile allowance claim was being handled there and that they were still developing it. The IRIS and 800# contacts said basically the same thing.

Monday 6/20 I sent another IRIS and asked if this was some kind of record for the time it took to develop an Auto claim. Yesterday I get back a response that the RO does not have an automobile allowance claim for me???? It's been on ebenefits and I didn't put it there, so I wrote back explaining all the contacts, the IRIS responses, and how could they tell me it was in development for 14 months and now it just isn't there?

CRAZY

Anyway, I had to resubmit everything, so I faxed it all there and will frop a letter in the mail today also. I don't really mind because I am not planning on purchasing a vehicle until after the increase, but to tell a Veteran for 14 months that the claim is in development, by multiple VA employees including RO staff, and then poof, its gone?

Can anyone tell me what I would be entitled to receive if I was awarded adaptive equipment only due to service connected left knee fusion, severe lower lumbar pain, left foot pain, right hip arthritis, right knee replacement with severe pain due multiple ossific fragments again again project superior to the right patella with less than a 85 degree range of motion?