Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help If You Can

Rate this question

spcsumrall

Question

I was discharged in Apr. 2007 for Axis-1 Bipolar. I did not even know about the VA and what they do for vets until Sep. 2010 which is when I called and researched everything. So I filed early in September for SC Dis. Compensation and TDIU also pension, basically everything available. I have been unable to work since I lost my job in Jun. 2010 for being Bipolar with an extreme Anxiety condition. I was checked into a hospital for my condition and they summed it up as I should NOT have been working and that would explain why i have had literally 13 jobs since 2007. I submitted all forms I had including the diagnosis from a military doctor while in service official DA DOC stating Axis-1 Bipolar. So to bring it all together I have been off work for over 13 months now. I have 2 civilian doctors stating it is ptsd and bipolar with generalized anxiety disorder, and major depression and agoraphobia and I know from experience I am in no condition to work because sometimes I am suicidal, violent, and obscenely aggressive when uncomfortable. Now my family is hitting hard times, I do not have any family support system at all. I have sold everything I own other than personal items just to make ends meet. So I had an exam by a doctor back in may. I am not sure if this was c&p exam or not, she checked my reflexes and asked some personal questions, and said I could go. I gave her information on my mental state and she wrote it down but it seems all she was worried about was physical. So now I am within 16 days of being delinquent on my rent. My bills are set to turn off before then and I have no money at all whatsoever. My bank account is dramatically negative. I received a VCAA letter stating a decision will be made in 30 days after i sent them the last 2 forms. I IMMEDIATELY got them the forms by-mail checked and delivered to my regional VA office as of the 1st of July 2011. Also enclosed was my letter of hardship and all bills to support it. I was told by a rep over the phone it could still take 90 days. I know they are not supposed to give time frames because of all the variables, however I do not have 90 days and that makes my position feel even more bleak. So I called and called and finally got through to someone and they informed me of the American legion and TFA grant. Filled it on July 12th out and still no response. My situation has become desperate as I do not want to see my family in the homeless shelter. I just need someone, anyone, to evaluate the information given and see if there is anything I can do or am not doing. The VA has confirmed on 3 accounts they have absolutely everything they need. Also I am open to constructive criticism as well as any advice you can give. Kind words help to, just need re-assuring. I'm afraid and lost. It has become too much for us to bear. Thank you in advance

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

You have been given good advice. I agree in that you dont need to "lawyer up" yet. You got a VCAA letter and are expecting a RO decision. Many RO's try to have the "initial decision" done within a year. Unless you have a "rock solid nexus", and you dont seem to know about the C and P, then you should persue NSC PENSION. Reason: NSC pension is pretty easy to get if you meet some eligibility requirements: served in wartime, and have financial needs and no job. You dont have to prove service connection to get pension. Pension, if you have little no income, is about 1000 per month depending on your number of dependents. It will at least keep you from being homeless while you are seeking disability compensation, especially if you have to appeal.

If you have not already done so, you may consider applying for SS disability, since it sounds like you cant work, based on what you posted. It is independent, somewhat of the VA, but could happen faster because you need only prove you cant work, and dont need to relate this to military service..it doesnt matter why you cant work to the SS, but it does matter to the VA.

If you are awarded BOTH SS disability and VA NSC pension, they will tend to "offset" each other..and you wont likely get both. That is, any SS disability you get will be deducted from NSC pension. Still, you want to ask for both and see which one "sticks". Ultimately, however, you are not looking for NON service connected, but rather service connected compensation. You can get ss disability and service connected compensation both at the same time.

If you feel you are "at risk" of becoming homeless, you need to tell your docs and get help at the VA for this. While the VA has lots of problems, you really cant blame the VA for not helping you when you are in a homeless or soon to be homeless situation if you dont tell them so. They dont read your mind. I think T bird had a good idea to go to the Vet center and ask them for help with your impending homelessness. You have to tell more than one VA person you are about to be homeless. I know, I had the same problem. If the VA has a "homeless prevention coordinator" they sure did not tell me about it.

You have to hang in there. I am not going to try to minimize things and tell you that you will get benefits and every thing will be fine in 2 weeks. Instead, prepare for a long fight, and if you get your check in 2 weeks, then consider it a welcome suprise. I hate it that VSO's and the VA make people think they will get their benefit check six months after they apply, when most of the time it takes at least one appeal, which is taking more like 4 years. You may get your benefits in "the first round".

Did the army say you were discharged due to prior medical condition? I don't understand why you got general under honorable unless they decided you had a personality disorder or pre-existing medical and were unsuitable for military service. If you were discharged for a medical condition you should have gotten a medical discharge. Bi-polar is a medical condition. Did the army say you had bi-polar before you enlisted and discharge you for that? What you have to show is that military service made that condition worse. Were you in combat? The army likes to play games if they can hang some pre-existing condition on you instead of admitting that they accepted you as whole and then when you have breakdown that it was pre-existing. You have bigger burden because you did not file within one year of discharge. You can still win this thing but you have to wait. If you are lost I would try and consult a lawyer especially if you have bi-polar symptoms. This is probably why you did not get around to filing until two years after discharge.

i received a medical discharge (from a medical board) but it was designated as general under honorable conditions.

You have been given good advice. I agree in that you dont need to "lawyer up" yet. You got a VCAA letter and are expecting a RO decision. Many RO's try to have the "initial decision" done within a year. Unless you have a "rock solid nexus", and you dont seem to know about the C and P, then you should persue NSC PENSION. Reason: NSC pension is pretty easy to get if you meet some eligibility requirements: served in wartime, and have financial needs and no job. You dont have to prove service connection to get pension. Pension, if you have little no income, is about 1000 per month depending on your number of dependents. It will at least keep you from being homeless while you are seeking disability compensation, especially if you have to appeal.

If you have not already done so, you may consider applying for SS disability, since it sounds like you cant work, based on what you posted. It is independent, somewhat of the VA, but could happen faster because you need only prove you cant work, and dont need to relate this to military service..it doesnt matter why you cant work to the SS, but it does matter to the VA.

If you are awarded BOTH SS disability and VA NSC pension, they will tend to "offset" each other..and you wont likely get both. That is, any SS disability you get will be deducted from NSC pension. Still, you want to ask for both and see which one "sticks". Ultimately, however, you are not looking for NON service connected, but rather service connected compensation. You can get ss disability and service connected compensation both at the same time.

If you feel you are "at risk" of becoming homeless, you need to tell your docs and get help at the VA for this. While the VA has lots of problems, you really cant blame the VA for not helping you when you are in a homeless or soon to be homeless situation if you dont tell them so. They dont read your mind. I think T bird had a good idea to go to the Vet center and ask them for help with your impending homelessness. You have to tell more than one VA person you are about to be homeless. I know, I had the same problem. If the VA has a "homeless prevention coordinator" they sure did not tell me about it.

You have to hang in there. I am not going to try to minimize things and tell you that you will get benefits and every thing will be fine in 2 weeks. Instead, prepare for a long fight, and if you get your check in 2 weeks, then consider it a welcome suprise. I hate it that VSO's and the VA make people think they will get their benefit check six months after they apply, when most of the time it takes at least one appeal, which is taking more like 4 years. You may get your benefits in "the first round".

that's how i got my pension determination speeded up as i was an excellent candidate to become homeless. i fell several times during 2001 and couldn't work. i got behind on my rent too. and i was in constant contact with the homeless coordinator at my local clinic.