Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Corneal Scarring,

Rate this question

a.ballard.usn

Question

Good day all,

I am active duty Navy and I retire in about 10 months, I had PRK Surgury done in December 2004 by the navy, The tech who removed my bandage contact also scooped off a piece of my cornea in the process, I did not notice until the numbing drops wore of and I had to be drven back to the hospital and have the duty optomitris come in because the pain was intense.

Fast forward 1 year, i developed a significant corneal scar in that eye that is dead center in my field of vision it severly scatters light making reading a computer with that eye almost impostible, Like looking through dirty glasses. Post PRK vision was 20/15 not it's back to 20/50 and climing every year.

2007 I had to get it re lazered to cut down the corneal scar because it was big enough I could feel it when I blinked, the cornea haze from the scar contiues to get worse, so far the only option the navy has given me is I would have to get a corneal transplant which everyone knows is not 100% and could have a slue of complications. I even had to switch from being a left handed shooter to rigth handed to qualify on the rifle range.

The vision is not correctible with glasses and if I ever lost my right eye due to a accident I could no longer drive at night nor read street signs even in the day time.

Just courious to what kind of compensation to expect from this. Not very much on this subject on Hadit.

HM1 (AW/FMF)

Retire July 2012

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Sorry that this happened to you. I have no idea but it should be major.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I'm actually really interested in your outcome of this whole ordeal.

I also am currnetly in the Navy. I underwent a PRK surgery in my left eye, 2 days later developing a major corneal scar dead center of the eye, penetrating through all 5 layers of the cornea. I've been on drops for over 6 months trying to thin the scarring. My vision prior to the surgery was 20/20 in my left eye, and now has gotten down to a 20/200. They doctors are also saying the only thing they would be able to do at this point is a corneal transplant. I'm currently going through a MEB (Med-Board) and am very anxious to see what kind of compensation you were entitled to. I have been doing lots of research and from what I see it looks like the maximum percentage available would be 30%. I dont know if yours and mine would be different since the procedure is what damaged our vision. If you could please let me know what you received, and what direction they went with this I would be greatly appreciative.