Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The Army Now Admits They Ordered Troops In The First Gulf War To Destroy Their Critical Wartime Records

Rate this question

allan

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Subject: [VeteranIssues] The Army now admits they ordered troops in the first Gulf War to destroy their critical wartime records

Date: Aug 4, 2011 12:22 PM

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/troubleshooter&id=8286665

RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Since local veterans brought to ABC11's attention the roadblocks they're facing because they have few medical records from the time they served our county, an investigation has now revealed what happened to those records.

In May, 82nd Airborne veteran Sgt. Gerry Propst said he was being denied military benefits for service-related injuries because he didn't have most of the medical records from his five years of Army service during Operation Desert Storm.

The Army now admits they ordered troops in the first Gulf War to destroy their critical wartime records.

Related Content

Story: Health records missing for Gulf War vets

Propst says for years he had been telling his story, but not many people believed him until recently when a letter from the Department of the Army surfaced.

The letter confirms what so many veterans that served in the first Gulf War have said.

"They were throwing our medical records and every non-essential piece of equipment in the burn pits, because there was no room to fly it home," Propst said.

Through a public record request, the Army sent ABC11 a copy of the original letter, which includes the admission.

Click here to read the letter

"Units were told to destroy their records since there was no space to ship the paper back to the states," stated Dr. Gary A. Trogdon Chief of the Public Inquiries Section of the U.S. Army Center of Military History.

The letter also states that the order to destroy records is in "direct contradiction to the existing Army regulations." And that officials later discovered that "nearly all records below the brigade level no longer existed."

Propst says among the missing records is documented proof of a serious back injury he suffered during a parachute assault in the Middle East.

A back injury that is now haunting him years later and has him fighting for compensation.

"I've been dealing with denials, I know I'm not alone," he said.

And he is not, veteran Chris Layton says he feels Propst's pain.

"I don't have any medical records or records to show anything," Layton said.

Layton, a former Fort Bragg paratrooper who also served in Desert Storm, says he hurt his back on a jump and there is no record of it.

"You're expected to do a job in the military and then you expect if something happens that you'll be looked after," he said.

ABC11 provided Senator Kay Hagan with the letter from the Army to get her reaction.

"My first reaction was certainly the military didn't destroy any records and so getting to the bottom of that has been interesting," she said. "I wanted to be sure what the protocol was to do such a thing and why."

In turn, Hagan wrote a letter to Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta asking what the protocol is if records are lost or missing.

"I just want to be sure we get to the bottom of this so those veterans that have served our country and military, that we are certain that they not only can get the VA services, but the benefits they deserve," Hagan said. "I mean these people have fought for our country."

She is currently awaiting a response.

In the meantime, Propst and Layton say since ABC11's story first aired, they have both heard from the Veterans' Administration and had examinations to determine if their injuries are service related.

The examination was good news for Propst, who says the VA doctor gave his medical opinion that all his medical issues are service related.

He is now just waiting for the official VA decision in writing and what that will mean in terms of compensation for those injuries.

Meanwhile Layton, is also waiting to hear what the VA determined about his injuries.

"Keep on, Keepin' on"

Dan Cedusky, Champaign IL "Colonel Dan"

See my web site at:

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/VeteranIssues/

http://www.facebook.com/dan.cedusky

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

this is not like mine, but similar in the fact I followed orders when my command forced me to continue woking with chemicals that made me very, very sick.. so sick they could see some of the physical proof from 50 feet away of the effects on my body...

yet, the #### lowlife's at the VA fight me over the proof and deny, deny until I die.. they have some pure evil people working in high places in the VA...

I was soaked in chmicals, and they know it, it wasn't some mist blowing in the wind,, a light spray... it was lot's of liquid soaking my body for many hours at a time, up to 16 hours at a time I was soaked and my clothing...

those same people are probably right now laying back in some lounge chair or in a boat relaxing, while I lay here sick and dying... and being denied my full benefits..

Now my VSO is requesting since I suffer from a terminal illness... asked if the doctors gave me a date that I will die because of the illness... because when I apply for a speed up of my case to be heard by the BVA appeals.. a condition is the illness must be terminal.. but I don't know whether i have 2 weeks or 10 years..

I wonder if the burn pits that 'may have' contributed to any illnesses which the troops may have or develop, or the Agent Orange victims get more justice than someone like me was actually soaked in chmicals and was hospitalized and treated on active duty,, yet they deny me , and the will move on to the troops that may have been sprayed or they breathed some vapors in the air that may or may not have actually been in the air..

I want (demand) the same justice, if they get justice I want mine, if I get justice, I expect them to get justice also...

I want all those that are part of the issues with those that served in the gulf and Ahfghanistan, and that got sick from chemicals, to know that there are other vets out here that are in a fight witht he VA over illness from chemicals, who have already been in the battle with the VA for justice...

Do not create groups of Disabled sick Vets in categories above other Vets in the war for benfits and moving the lines, putting people in front of others, or using the same proof of illness and cause differently,, treat us al the same,

if we as diabled vets have the proof,, give us the same treatment and benefits we legally deserve.. do not, once again,. create different classes of disabled vets...

it is uncounsciounable and disgusting the way sick disabled vets are treated that get sick and disabled, and terminally ill and disabled for following orders. Then, be pushed aside for another group... for politics...

I see this coming and it only makes me angrier.

Not in appeals, since I got 100%, and some of it was winning an 1151 negligence, which the VA turns out does not give ful benefits if you win 1151 negligence they squirm and legal loophhole you and your family out of many benefits, really crapp nasty bunch running the va benefits, they wil backstab and scre wyou even if you win you lose. May 2021.

01-01-11_My_Medical_Records2.jpg

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

The Army Times article from February 2, 2011. Bonus video included too!

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/02/gannett-army-told-units-to-destroy-gulf-war-medical-records-021111/

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.