Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea Evaluation

Rate this question

mrphilly1

Question

Had a talk with a fellow veteran today and he told me he read somewhere that starting in September the VA will evaluate all cases of sleep apnea and those that aren't combat related will be downgraded. Wondering if anyone has heard the same thing. Sorry if someone has asked this already but I couldn't find it.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

It wouldn't surprise me, most in charge have a lack of leadership! Those that cannot lead find that the easiest way is to do something is to take it away. It's like the babysitter that doesn't want to be there; because one child acts up then you punish them all.

I would also like to know the answer to the questions as I've been trying to assist someone with a SA claim.

Had a talk with a fellow veteran today and he told me he read somewhere that starting in September the VA will evaluate all cases of sleep apnea and those that aren't combat related will be downgraded. Wondering if anyone has heard the same thing. Sorry if someone has asked this already but I couldn't find it.

Edited by BrookH

I am not an elder, but if they are "re-evaluating all cases of sleep apnea that arn't combat related".

Sleep apnea rates out 4 ways 0, 30, 50, and 100.

The zero's have apnea but it is not bad enough for a machine and they don't have problems staying awake.

30's have apnea not requiring a machine and have problems staying awake during the day.

50's have apnea and require a CPAP/BIPAP machine

100's have apnea and Chronic respiratory failure with carbon dioxide retention or cor pulmonale, or; requires tracheostomy.

about the only place in the rating schedule they could push ratings down is 30% to 0% hypersolomence is a somewhat subjective standard. If they are contemplating changing the requirements for service connection it is a bit more difficlut to take a SC disability away due to a regulation change. I don't see where they are going to gain anything here. UN-SUBSTANTIATED SUPPOSITION "unless they are contemplating that PTSD nightmares cause momentary pauses in breathing that are not truly apneas - therefore PTSD patients with hypersolomence would not be entitled to an additional 30% rating" SUPPOSITION OFF.

If it is a major recognized policy shift they will do a fast letter on it to make sure each RO is "fixing the ratings" until something in writting shows up or we find 1st hand reports of people getting downgraded I wouldn't stress about it.

Best regards,

71m10,

Thanks. We were just looking over the new ratings but seen the sleep apnea ones did stay the same. I've heard a few friends talk about this changings but I never believe something until I see it.

Appreciate your guidence.

BrookH

I think there could be changes coming on how many things are rated, but this should not affect people who have a current rating. There are numerous rating protections and, unless there are legislative changes, the VA just cant reduce your rating unless you have actually improved.