VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Attending Physician Statement For Short Term Disability With Last Employer-No Longer Able To Work And Getting Ready To File For Ssdi

Rate this question

mrs rockman (widow of vet)

Question

I do not know where to post this, so if it does need to be changed-fine.

My last day of work with my employer was on 08/05/11. I had short term disability with them for 12 weeks. I took the Attending Physician Statement to my local VAMC to the Pulmonary Doctor to have filled out. The nurse said that VA usually does not fill one out. She could not a doctor that was willing to fill it out!!They sent me to my local CBOC and all the doc did was say that I had Pulmonary Fibrosis, Hypertension, & IHD. He never did mention the PTSD that I am SD'd for. He would not fill out any more-so it was basically imcomplete. He said I should be evaluated by a Occupational Health Physician.

What do I do, for now I may not be able to get my 12 weeks and this will be a HUGE financial Blow!!

I am going to the Memphis VAMC in a couple of hours to my Pulmonologist for my PFT and appointment. Does anyone have any idea as to where I can get this filled out? I want to have it done in case the insurance company denies me.

Also I want to take a Residual Functioning Capacity Form to have done to take with me to Social Security. I am trying to be pro-active!!

Help-any help with be more than appreciated.

**The Pulmonologist wrote and signed a letter on VA letterhead that I could no longer work, so filing out a form should not be a total surprise.

Rockman

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

I don't quite understand what the "short term disability" would have to do with getting a VA doctor's statement-

Was this for the pulmonary fibrosis?

Do you have a SC rating for that already?

If so this might be some good evidence for TDIU:

"The Pulmonologist wrote and signed a letter on VA letterhead that I could no longer work, so filing out a form should not be a total surprise"

-if the doc gave a full medical rationale and if you have a service nexus for the pulmonary condition and/or a current SC rating for it.

I don't quite understand what the "short term disability" would have to do with getting a VA doctor's statement-

Was this for the pulmonary fibrosis?

Do you have a SC rating for that already?

If so this might be some good evidence for TDIU:

"The Pulmonologist wrote and signed a letter on VA letterhead that I could no longer work, so filing out a form should not be a total surprise"

-if the doc gave a full medical rationale and if you have a service nexus for the pulmonary condition and/or a current SC rating for it.

The short term disability papers for his job that he just left. It is to just show that he is no longer able to work. He is not SC for the lungs at the present. His outside cardiologist did say he was placing in his records that his SC IHD aggravated his lung condition and also that his heart condition will never improve. He now has Pulmonary Hypertension. The short term is in review right now. Hopefully they will take the VA's letter.

"His outside cardiologist did say he was placing in his records that his SC IHD aggravated his lung condition and also that his heart condition will never improve"

That is good but is the cardio willing to prepare an IMO that gives a strong medical rationale for that?

The IMO doesnt have to be lengthy but it would beg great if the cardio doc lists his background and qualifications because he is probably a lot better qualified than anyone at VA who will do the C & P exam.