VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Draft Gulf War Task Force Report Released

Rate this question

BFR

Question

Draft Gulf War Task Force Report Released

Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki announced that the Department's Gulf War Veterans' Illnesses Task Force has completed the draft of a comprehensive report that will outline how the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) addresses the concerns of Veterans who deployed during the Gulf War in 1990 and 1991.More information. Follow this link to a page. At the bottom of that page is the link below:

http://www.va.gov/op...I-TF_Report.pdf

I don't often read a VA report that strikes me as being nothing more than "filler" but this one does. Am I looking at it the wrong way?

Edited by BFR

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

I've read through this report several times and I just can't exactly figure out what there solution is other than throwing a lot of words at what their loose definition of what a "gulf war clinic" should be and their trial in SLC. I've been working on a draft of a rather lengthy reply to their report but I'm still nowhere close to having all the facts that I need. I'm afraid that my lack of medical authority won't carry much weight anyway.

There is one post on their discussion board that I thought made a very interesting point. That is, that these Gulf War advisory boards are closed bodies with no input from Gulf War Veteran's.

Another thing that struck me from this report is the amount of money spent on research over the years (much of it ill spent) versus the number of GWV's that have sought treatment. I don't have the numbers in front of me at the moment or I would do the math but I promise you the amount of money spent per veteran is astronomical. If the VA/DOD would cut the crap (aka politics) and apply that money (per sick veteran) to treating them for what the research and common sense has already shown to be the cause of GWI, could you imagine the "first class" treatment those sick Desert Storm vets could have been receiving?

It has been my first hand experience as a Gulf War Veteran with Gulf War Illness that the VA has paid mostly lip service to GWI. There is such a small number of us that are truly sick and an even smaller number that are vocal that I think they are going to ride it out until we all croak and there is no one left to speak up.

I was welcomed home by the American people to a hero's welcome. 20 years later, I feel forgotten and cast aside as my life has become a daily struggle against physical and mental ailments that worsen with each tick of the clock.

Sec. Shineski needs to stand up for his fellow Desert Storm brethren and quit just picking up a paycheck. The solutions presented are too soft and too short-sighted.

Edited by sleeper692