VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

? Options For Bva

Rate this question

mrp

Question

I initially chose to have a Travel Board hearing for my appeal.

I received letter asking if I wanted to choose other options which might be quicker:

Video-conference, or live hearing in Washington.

Any advice as to which option is the best choice, and if it would be significantly sooner.

The RO is also very far, so going to Washington could be an option.

Does a live hearing offer advantage over a videoconference ?

Will waiting for Travel hearing be significantly longer, as the VA implies ?

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I was assisting a veteran from TX with his BVA appeal. He had waited almost 1500 days for an in-person BVA traveling board hearing. We took an unorthodox approach and contacted BVA directly. Within a very short time, a hearing had been scheduled in DC (VACO), we got a full and complete copy of the veteran's C-File from BVA in 22 days, the hearing was held despite hurricane and earthquake, a decision was reached in less than a month granting SC back to 2002, the claim was returned to Houston RO for rating which took only THREE WEEKS. Live people at the BVA took calls, answered questions, and guided us step by step through the process. There did not appear to be any rush or pressure to get the hearing over.

At least in Houston RO, the traveling board only happens twice a year. Hearing are held in Washington, DC every day. There does not seem to be any sizable backlog.

All in all, it was the most positive and professional interaction I have ever had with the VA in 41 years!

I am a strong believer in in-person hearings. They put a human face on a claim. Your claim should be distilled down to no more than 4 or 5 very distinct issues. Have copies of all of the evidence for the 4-5 issues with you to hand the judge. Limit your presentation to those issues. This would not be the place to go into a diatribe on how badly the VA has treated you or how much you need the money-just the issues and evidence you feel prove your claim--nothing more.

There are a couple of affordable motels reasonably close to the Central Office in the $90-100 per night range. Taxis are cheap in Washington.

I for one, strongly recommend an in-person hearing in Washington, DC.

does anyone know average wait time comparisons between them---

that is, HOW much longer will I be waiting to get a live hearing (Travel) at the RO versus at Wash DC

You will most likely save about 18 months time wise, if you are willing to travel at your own expense

and have the hearing before a judge in DC.

JMHO