VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Radium Inserted In Veteran's Nose

Rate this question

vaf

Question

I'm trying to help a vet, requested by his wife. We just talked, and she mentioned something about her husband unknowingly having had radium inserted up his nose while he was in the military in Texas to treat a nasal condition. He retired in the early 60's. I've told her what records I'd need to review. Also, he had his knees operated on in the service, and evidently one gave out on him recently. He fell and broke his hip. His total rating right now is 20%, don't know for what but I'll find out. I'd like to help him get more if I can.

Anyway, has anyone out there heard of the radium treatments before? Was this experimental or standard procedure back then?

Thanks!

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Yes there were tests done on vete without there permission in the late fifties early sixtys so you will need to look up Radiation Exposed vets and you will find info pertaining to (sp)naso-pharyngal exposure.

I looked it up - shocking! I never heard about this before. I now have a copy of the denial. The VA stated that the veteran's medical records from 1943 to 1965 did not show evidence of nasal radiation therapy, so his claim for that and chronic inner ear dizziness was denied.

This veteran was in aerial gunnery training at an Army air base in Harlingen, Texas in 1944. He was there for six weeks, and had nasal radiation therapy twice. He described the process to me in detail. The decision states, "Service connection for inter-ear problem causing dizziness secondary to experimental radiation treatment is denied since this condition neither occurred in or was caused by service."

Can someone give me some suggestion as to where I can go to dig up documentation that gunnery school was scheduled in there in 1944, or some idea how to document this stuff? They never told him they were nuking his head, and he had no choice in the matter, anyway. Now, he's basically being called a liar.

Of course they weren't going to make entries in the veteran's SMR's back then, that would be admitting that they did it.

The fact that this happened in the military is well documented, and is a shameful thing.

Guest jangrin

Vicki,

I read your post. It is very upseting to think that our government would perform human testing on our military servicemen and possibly women. It's bad enough that this happened, but then for our government to turn their back on these veterans and their families is a serious crime in my opinion. I too just learned this week that this DID HAPPEN. :(

Please post your question again. In the memo put (Attention TESTVET). Testvet (mike) is also a veteran that had at least chemical testing (and probably ther testing) done to him while in the service. The government denied they did this. Except someone doing a news story a long time ago took a picture of some testing being done to a serviceman. Guess what ? Mike was the serviceman. He posted his website address on hadit last week. I don't think T-bird will mind if I post it again.

WWW.outsidethebeltway.org

Check it out, it is very informational, and I'm sure he may know something that can help your verteran.

I hope this helps,

Jangrin :blink: