VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Long Wait For Hearing Aids

Rate this topic

In early June of 2011 I was service connected for hearing loss. During my C&P exam, the audiologist told me I would benefit from hearing aids.

On June 14, 2011 my PCP requested a consult for hearing aids through the audiology department at VAMC Dublin, Georgia. At that time I was told there was a long waiting list for veterans requesting hearing aids. After waiting over seven months I decided to call the audiology department at VAMC Dublin and check on the status of my consult request. I was told that they could not tell me when I might receive an appointment because there were so many veterans ahead of me on the list. When I asked if I could go to another VAMC for an audiology consult, I was told I would not get a consult any faster anywhere else.

Is this a normal waiting period for an audiology consult, especially when service connected for hearing loss, or is this an isolated problem only occurring at my VAMC?

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks...Georgiapapa

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I use the Dallas VAMC and feel that the audiology department is very good. Most appointments I have had are within a couyple of weeks to no longer that 30 days. Someone is dropping the ball at your VA

I have to agree with Carlie on this. Something doesn't sound right.

I called for an audiology exam and got an appointment at the Portland, OR VAMC in under 30 days. After my diagnosis of moderate hearing loss and tinnitus, I had my hearing aids in 30 days.

Unless they are severely understaffed then someone must be pulling your chain. Make an appointment with a patient advocate and let them run interference for you. You might be surprised what they can get done for you.

Pete

My thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I called today and left a message for the patient advocate at VAMC Dublin to call me. Hopefully I will get a faster response from the patient advocate.

Georgiapapa...

I would recommend making an appointment with your regular VA doctor. Tell him your depressed and anxious over your hearing loss and it seems to be getting worse, he will put in a consult to Audiology, up here in Minneapolis everything goes through your primary doctor, don't make difference what it is unless your bleeding to death, then they tell you to call 911. And for gods sake don't tell him you've tried on your own to make an appointment - that would just muddy the dark and mysterious VA waters.