VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Long Wait For Hearing Aids

Rate this topic

My thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I called today and left a message for the patient advocate at VAMC Dublin to call me. Hopefully I will get a faster response from the patient advocate.

Georgiapapa...

GP,

I'd also consider contacting my VAMC - PCP again and saying -

Hey doc - 7 months ago you put in a consult for an Audiology consult

for me for hearing aids - Do you have any idea why they haven't bothered to

honor your request yet ?

JMHO

My thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I called today and left a message for the patient advocate at VAMC Dublin to call me. Hopefully I will get a faster response from the patient advocate.

Georgiapapa...

Call them again tomorrow and the next day and so on - if needed.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In early June of 2011 I was service connected for hearing loss. During my C&P exam, the audiologist told me I would benefit from hearing aids.

On June 14, 2011 my PCP requested a consult for hearing aids through the audiology department at VAMC Dublin, Georgia. At that time I was told there was a long waiting list for veterans requesting hearing aids. After waiting over seven months I decided to call the audiology department at VAMC Dublin and check on the status of my consult request. I was told that they could not tell me when I might receive an appointment because there were so many veterans ahead of me on the list. When I asked if I could go to another VAMC for an audiology consult, I was told I would not get a consult any faster anywhere else.

Is this a normal waiting period for an audiology consult, especially when service connected for hearing loss, or is this an isolated problem only occurring at my VAMC?

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks...Georgiapapa

i never had to wait that long for an appointment whether it was gainesville or daytona beach!

• 3 weeks later...

It has been three weeks and my patient advocate has not responded to repeated messages I have left on his voice mail.

During my mental health appointment yesterday at my local VA outpatient center, I told my psychologist about the problem I was having trying to get an audiology consult since June 14, 2011. I told her this was stressing me out because due to my hearing problems and the fact that my oncologist is a soft spoken gentleman from India, I have trouble understanding him when he is explaining the results of my latest diagnostic tests.

My psychologist made some phone calls to some of her contacts at my VAMC and learned that my PCP (PA) did not bother to request a consult until December 28, 2011. She said my PCP dropped the ball and I should have already had an appointment. She told me she would talk with someone at the VAMC and if I did not receive a notice of an appointment within the next couple of weeks, I should file a request for an appointment with an outside audiologist on a fee basis due to the VAMC not providing me with an appointment within a reasonable amount of time.

Has anyone ever heard of the VA permitting veterans to go outside the VA for an audiology consult on a fee basis?

How does this work and is there a certain form I would have to use to request approval?

Thanks...Georgiapapa

Prior to talking with my psychologist on 2/13/2012, I had telephoned the VA Outpatient Center around the end of January 2012 and left a message for my PCP advising him to please check on the status of my audiology consult. During a previuos mental health appointment, I had completed a form at the front desk of the VA Outpatient Center on December 2, 2011 in which I asked them to check on the status of my audiology consult. The lady at the front desk said she would give this form to my PCP. I assumed they were making an effort to speed up my appointment but since they did not bother to even request a consult until December 28, 2011 I am seriously thinking about requesting a different PCP.

Georgiapapa...

One day after my psychologist made some phone calls on my behalf I received a telephone call from the audiology department at my local VAMC. They set me up with an appointment for March 12th and they apologized for the delay. This is another example of what the VA can do to resolve problems quickly if only they would just make a real effort to do so.

Thanks to everyone who offered their assistance.

Georgiapapa...