Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Insight On These Reviews Please

Rate this question

gooz87

Question

Hello everybody,

i would like for some opinions on the following reviews. i am asking for a rate increase so i went through my c&p's again. i just recieved a copy of my general med reveiw for TBI. i have a 30% rating for that but it is listed as POST CONCUSSIVE HEADACHE OF THE TENSION TYPE DUE TO MILD TBI (CLAIMED AS MIGRANES). at the end of the c&p report from 11/01/2011 the doctor states "It is in my opinion that the patient's headaches are LESS likely due to mild traumatic brain injury and MORE related to post-traumatic stress disorder. Exspressed some other way, the patient's headaches are LESS LIKELY THAN NOT caused by mild traumatic brain injry."

can someone decipher this for me and tell me what it means? what is the doctor implying with this statement? also, i am currently rated at 50% for PTSD and after my most recent c&p for PTSD (10/18/2011), the doctor there stated in her final remarks " the vet's ptsd renders him unable to secure and maintain substantially gainfull employment." could someone help me out on what that statement means and how would a review board look at BOTH RECOMMENDATIONS?

is this good, bad, or indifferent to me maybe being able to get an increase? thank you all very much and have a good day.

gooz87

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Unless the idividual is employed! If they reduced the TBI rating because the headaches are related to PTSD and don't increase the PTSD rating, this person could very well see a proposal to reduce.

Best regards,

i think i might be sick if i get a reduction. you just put some kinda fear in me. that would be awful. i hope it doesn't turn out that way for me.

Gooz87,

If you are not employed, and your service connected disabilities prevent you from working you are eligible for TDIU (Total Disability due to Individual Unemployability). If they are going to try to reduce you they have to send you a proposal to reduce, be sure that you promptly appeal that proposal (I think 60 days is the limit, it will be in the paperwork). There are a lot of issues in play when VA thinks they want to change the way someone is rated. Whatever you do, don't let a proposal for a reduction (if it even happens) cause you to shut down and not deal with it. It is important to affirmatively and proactively deal with the situation.

Once you actually see a decision and share it with the board, more targeted advice can be contemplated.

Just because something is possible doesn't mean it will happen.

Best regards,

Gooz87,

If you are not employed, and your service connected disabilities prevent you from working you are eligible for TDIU (Total Disability due to Individual Unemployability). If they are going to try to reduce you they have to send you a proposal to reduce, be sure that you promptly appeal that proposal (I think 60 days is the limit, it will be in the paperwork). There are a lot of issues in play when VA thinks they want to change the way someone is rated. Whatever you do, don't let a proposal for a reduction (if it even happens) cause you to shut down and not deal with it. It is important to affirmatively and proactively deal with the situation.

Once you actually see a decision and share it with the board, more targeted advice can be contemplated.

Just because something is possible doesn't mean it will happen.

Best regards,

i will keep what you said in mind and act accordingly. i will kep y'all updated with the progress and outcome as soon as i know something. thank you very much for the heads up.

gooz87

The rating of the headaches fall under DC8100 Migraine, does not mater if they are a migraine or not. if you have them 2dry to TBI or PTSD you need to make sure you send in a 4138 telling the rater that your headaches are caused by eather your TBI or PTSD used both not just one issue.

Next you need to let them know just how bad they are, like 5 to 8 per month last 1 to 2 days losing days from work or having to stay in bed on each attack. that is how you get the 50% max rating.

Hello everybody,

i would like for some opinions on the following reviews. i am asking for a rate increase so i went through my c&p's again. i just recieved a copy of my general med reveiw for TBI. i have a 30% rating for that but it is listed as POST CONCUSSIVE HEADACHE OF THE TENSION TYPE DUE TO MILD TBI (CLAIMED AS MIGRANES). at the end of the c&p report from 11/01/2011 the doctor states "It is in my opinion that the patient's headaches are LESS likely due to mild traumatic brain injury and MORE related to post-traumatic stress disorder. Exspressed some other way, the patient's headaches are LESS LIKELY THAN NOT caused by mild traumatic brain injry."

can someone decipher this for me and tell me what it means? what is the doctor implying with this statement? also, i am currently rated at 50% for PTSD and after my most recent c&p for PTSD (10/18/2011), the doctor there stated in her final remarks " the vet's ptsd renders him unable to secure and maintain substantially gainfull employment." could someone help me out on what that statement means and how would a review board look at BOTH RECOMMENDATIONS?

is this good, bad, or indifferent to me maybe being able to get an increase? thank you all very much and have a good day.

gooz87

Edited by Gulfvet45

James A. Bunker

Executive Director

National Gulf War Resource Center

Phone: 785-925-9887

Email: Do not post your email address.

Join us on Facebook

gooz87,

Although your headaches are secondary to PTSD ro TBI, they can still break them out separately. If they are prostrating and cause you to lay down in a dark room twice a month you can get 30% if they are that bad and occur more often you can get 50%. The key word is prostarting. With the new SNL rating system veterans are getting higher grants for headaches and mental conditions.

If I were you, I would put in a 21-4138 for an increase for both conditions.

hello everybody. i hope you all are doing well. i have a small update in my process. i applied for SSDI when i filed for a rate increase at the VA last year (Sept/Oct timeframe). I was denied twice by the SSA but today i received a letter from them which is for a me to get a password request code. i didn't know what to make of it so i called the SSA, spoke to a representative, and was subsequently informed that it is true, i will be receiving benefits starting 9 May 2012. all i can say is that this came to me as a surprise but a very welcomed one, nonetheless. i now have to add my daughter who was born after i initially filed. i am grateful and thankful to God that this has come to fruition.

one question that i have now is this - i have a rate increase packet (started July 2011) in the process right now asking for an increase from 90% to 100%. should i take this SSA decision to the VA once i get it and add it to my packet?

next - if i do take it in and add it, will it start the process all over for me or should i just let that run its course and add it if i get denied? what to do, what to do? please send some knowledge and guidance my way.

thank you all for the help and your wisdom. God bless you all.

Edited by gooz87