Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Case Update, Questions, Please Help!

Rate this question

krbkwb02

Question

Hey all, finally got it reopened. I had my right hip replacement done on 14 October 2011. Now, the surgeon tells me its a short matter of time, and I will need my left hip replaced. I am service connected for patellar femoral pain syndrome 20% with degenerative arthritis.

I am trying to get it all connected as a secondary condition to my right knee. I have sent in the forms to release all my records to the VA. I have also wrote the referring surgeon and actual surgeon letters asking for opinions.

These are my ratings; Right Knee PFPS w/ degenerative arthritis 20%.....Depressive Disorder 10%....bilateral tinnutis 10%.....Chronic Left Shoulder Bursitis 10%......SC for hearing loss 0%......SC dental 0% ...overall 40%

In addition to asking for the secondary for the hips, I have asked for an increase in the depression. The question is that due to moderate to severe Osteoarthrits of both hips, 1 has been replaced, the other one will be done soon <1year...do you all think I will get awarded the secondary?

Both the refering surgeon and actual surgeon said to me..." How old are you?"...I said, "45"....they both said " wow, thats really young for as bad as your hips are, what happened"....I said, "well, they only thing I can think of is that I spent almost 8 years in the Army running all the time, road marching, and other stuff"....they said.."well that would do it, all the wear and tear".....just hoping they will now say that on paper!

Any thoughts, comments, or ideas would be greatly appreciated! Also, is there anything else I should/need to do? Should I have my spouse write a letter? Thanks!

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Not to mention I fell in AASLT School onto my right side 1994, and again fell hard onto my right side while running in Alaska 1998, icy surface.....both times I went to medical with bad brusing...should I point these two incidents out as well?

To me, its a no brainer...if you have a "bad knee"....you limp at times, gait is abnormal....etc etc....hence your hips and back will eventually be effected, why is that so hard to understand for the VA?

• HadIt.com Elder

If its in your Medocal Records and you can get a Doc to link current diagnosis to it than it is a no brainer. There are quite a few no brainers that VA will deny you have to build your case using Medical evidence and specific regulations that bind the VA.

To me, its a no brainer...if you have a "bad knee"....you limp at times, gait is abnormal....etc etc....hence your hips and back will eventually be effected, why is that so hard to understand for the VA?

A doctor has to connect it all.

Editing to add that not everyone with a bad knee has these results.

Some do not have these results from the SC'd knee - but later in life

might be in a car accident and then have these results from the car accident and not

secondary to the SC'd bad knee.

I truly believe that my bilateral hip issues are connected to the right knee issue. However, I do have within my service medical records that I was seen for falls onto my right side, both times resulting in heavy thigh bruising. The record doesn't say anything about my hip, could it be presumed by the VA that those 2 falls could have resulted in an injury to the right hip. Should I point those records out to them?

I have moderate to severe Osteoarthritis in both hips, the right has been replaced, and the left will need it soon, I am 45 years old, and that is definetly not normal.

My service connected knee is Patellar femoral pain syndrome with degenerative arthrits also know as "Osteoarthritis"..Osteoarthritis can be caused by overuse/repetitve movement. Could the degenerative arthrits of the hips had its onset while in service due to the falls? Either way....I believe my hip issues are connected either directly or secondary. Currently working on my Doctor to write an IMO. My right leg was also 1cm shorter than the left prior to hip replacement.

Could it also be that the 1 cm shortening was a direct result of the degenerative arthritis of the knee? Follow me?

Do or should I do anything else?

Current Ratings:

Patellar Femoral Pain Syndrome with Degenerative Arthritis intial rating 10% 2000, increase to 20% 2006

Left Shoulder Bursitis Chronic 10% 2006

Bilateral Tinnutis 10% 2000

Depressive Disorder 10% 2006

Hearing Loss Service Connected 0% 2006

Dental Service Connected 0% 2006

October 2011 Total Right Hip Replacement

Knee has flare up periods where I can barely walk upon it

Left Hip will need replacement soon according to surgeon

Depression has definetly increased now taking medication, missed 15 days from work in 2011, etc etc

Left Shoulder becomes very tired and sore with extensive repetition

I have reopened claim with a October 2011 effective date

Currently waiting for IMO from Surgeon, hoping he gives me some idea?

Sent release forms to regional office for medical records

Submitting to VA my work attendance records

Submitting to VA evidence that I had two falls onto my right side that resulted in heavy leg bruising while in service

Should I do anything else?