Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Help

Rate this question

ohio disabled vet

Question

I served 25 months active duty . I was discharged under general under honorable conditions. (pattern of disciplinary issues) I believe. I was states side. My fiance became pregnant and I was the happiest person in the world. She decided to have an abortion without telling me. It was a 2 day procedure. When she came back it was clear she was very sick. I found out and "being a man" went with her for support on the 2nd day (even though I was 100% against it). It was honorific, I still picture it every night when I go to sleep. I was sent to the mental ward in Denver Colorado for two weeks against my wishes. And was discharged a few weeks after that.

I had no idea I could file with the VA. They told me I was on my own. I had 25 jobs in the years after I was discharged. I saw shrinks during the periods I would have health insurance, other wise I self medicated. I married and my wife’s insurance covered me. I have been in treatment constant for the last 9 years. 1 inpatient episode. My diagnosis is PTSD. And Social security declared me permanently disabled for life 8 years ago. I was told I can make a claim on this since I was active duty at the time and I served over 2 years. I was also told It did not matter if it was combat related or not.

What steps do I need to take to file a claim, and do you think I have a chance?

Thank you

Eric

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

ohio disabled vet,

Your situation is complex. I will have a complex answer this week end. In the mean time it would help if you told me the year you were discharged. The diagnostic systems the psychiatrists use changed in 1980. I need to know if you were discharged prior to 1980.

Edited by Hoppy

• HadIt.com Elder

Eric,

I was hoping you would let me know when you were discharged. I am not going to type up a long complex explanation of what you are up against unless I know you are still reading this board.

You stated that you were hospitalized against your will and discharged. They said you were on your own. This was typical in the 60’s and 70’s. The fact that they said you were on your own is a big problem for your PTSD claim with the VA. The VA is way different than social security. I will give you odds that you were diagnosed with a personality disorder when you were in the military hospital.

The VA will use this against you. They have done this on every claim I have assisted on in the last ten years. There are ways to get around this. However, I am not going to type this up until I hear from you.

I would not be typing this up if I did not think you had a chance.

Edited by Hoppy

What was you diagnosis? Dose not seem to me that it would have been PTSD. Remember that all mental disorders are rated under the same criteria. Could it have been Depression, Major Depressive Disorder, Adjustment Disorder.... If you file for the wrong disorder you will be denied and the correct disorder will not be addressed.