Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependents And Retro Payments?

Rate this question

SCAATY

Question

I have a question about my 19 year old son and retroactive payments. I thought I say an answer to this question somewhere, but my memories is shot these days, and I can't seem to find the answer again. Here it is and please forgive me if this has been answered in another thread somewhere. If there is any retroactive payments for dependents (my son) from before he turned 18 will that retro go to me or him, since he is now over 18 and not in school?

I ask this question because when my son turned 18 Social Security cut him a $7000 check and he blew it within weeks, and, given his childhood, I don't blame him. Long story. I don't care if he gets any retro, lord knows he deserves it, but I sure as heck don't want him to get a large retro payment right now because he is way too irresponsible. He has a child on the way and I sure would like to make sure he uses the money wisely. Make sence? I know he is over 18 and I have no control over him but...

Somewhere I read that I will have a year from the date of any decision to put in for dependents, and if I find out that he will be getting a bunch of money from the VA I will wait to put the claim in for him as my dependent until that year is nearly over. There you have it, I am the meanest parent to ever walk the face of the earth. At least, that is what both of my children would tell you. LOL

Thanks

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Carlie, thanks for your reply. I should have answered your question about specific 1994 laws and regs earlier, but I needed to get away from this claim for awhile. I was starting to get very obsessed with it. I have typed up what I see as the basis for CUE but it is rather long. I would like to place it in the CUE forum and get some feedback on it but I am not sure if it would be appropriate to post something 3 pages long on here. I would like to get some feedback on it, and maybe others might have gone through the same thing. You're a hadit.com elder so I ask you, oh great one, should I post it. biggrin.png Oh, wait a minute, I am such a dumba#$, that what attachments are for. I will post in the CUE forum.