Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Combat Veterans: Five Year Window

Rate this question

ensignoftheunit

Question

Went for my enrollment today at the local VAMC. Got everything squared away, and I have my first appointment Friday morning. The whole experience was outstanding, however I’m confused about something. The lady that in-processed me mentioned I have Combat Veteran eligibility for 5 years, basically until 2014. She tried explaining it, but I’m still very fuzzy on this because I’d never heard of it until then.

Basically it sounds like for 5 years following a verified combat deployment you have free medical care for conditions that may be related to combat service even if you’re not service connected with that condition. I’ve never heard of this before..

I guess my ultimate question is, I’m going to my PCP for my S/C because of Hypertension and Hearing. However, my understanding was that the PCP would only address your service connected conditions unless your over a certain percentage and fall under the blanket healthcare.

Since my last deployment in 2009, I’ve had anxiety and panic attacks. No claim because I don’t feel comfortable filing a claim without it being in my SMR.

Would this 5 year window allow me to bring these panic attacks up with my PCP?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Since my last deployment in 2009, I’ve had anxiety and panic attacks. No claim because I don’t feel comfortable filing a claim without it being in my SMR.

Would this 5 year window allow me to bring these panic attacks up with my PCP?

Yea buddy - talk with your PCP about these panic attacks, when they started etc...

Get a referral to the MH clinic.

Get all of your healthcare at your VAMC for all medical issues (except dental generally)

eyeglasses too.

Check out the Vet Center in your area.

www.vetcenter.va.gov

Get all of your healthcare at your VAMC for all medical issues

Wow, I always assumed that if you were S/C for conditions A,B, and C, you went to your VA PCP when you had an issue for one of those conditions, and your civilian doctor for everything else. Didn't think they would even entertain non-SC conditions.

Go see the OIF / OEF person at the VA and they will help you. Send a letter to the VARO with their help that you want to file a claim for PTSD. work to then put it together. You will have just under a year to get it in. and have the date set by the informal claim date from the letter you first sent in.