Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lost Viet Nam Hospital Records

Rate this question

charlie

Question

Can anyone help me on this situation. I was in Viet Nam from 1967-1969 and I ended up in the hospital with Rhemidtoid Arthritis, my legs and knees were swelled up like watermelons. I have applied for my disability and they have turned it down. They cannot locate my medical records from that time. How can I get them. Thanks.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

You have to remember that clinical (inpatient) records are not stored with your SMR's. They are stored at NPRC according to the name of the facility. So you'll have to request those records, either with a simple letter or SF 180, with the name of the hospital you were treated and the approximate dates you were there. Don't forget to give them your SSN or service number, or both.

Vike 17

Charlie- Welcome aboard here veteran-

Do you have a current disability due to this service problem?

Did you put into your claim any disability whatsoever that might lead to service connection?

Are you employed or do you get SSA disability benefits?

Do you have diabetes or any presumptive Agent Orange illness?

I asked about the current part- Even if a vet had hospitalization or treatment inservice for something- the VA can only rate a current affect of that disability.

Had a vet with a broken ankle inservice. It was documented and he was treated.(30 years ago)

It did not affect his ability to perform his duties in the mil nor did it have any residual affect to his post service employment. He never needed any further treatment for it.

This vet can claim the ankle but it will get a "0" SC rating.

If the ankle problem somehow does affect him in the future that "0" will be helpful. I had a hard time explaining to him that the VA has to have something current to actually rate above "0".

• HadIt.com Elder
You have to remember that clinical (inpatient) records are not stored with your SMR's. They are stored at NPRC according to the name of the facility. So you'll have to request those records, either with a simple letter or SF 180, with the name of the hospital you were treated and the approximate dates you were there. Don't forget to give them your SSN or service number, or both.

Vike 17

ditto!