Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What To Do? Need Some Guidance...

Rate this question

drftit808

Question

Hey guys, it's been a few years and I'm back in need of some advice on what to do in regards to filing a new VA claim. To recap what's been going on: In 2009, after about a year and a half of testing I was medically discharged from the Navy and put on TDRL, with a benefits at discharge rating of 60%. Because of the terrible times I've had, and from the navy medical causing my conditions, I've only been to medical maybe twice since my discharge, just to check in and say "thanks but no thanks, i don't want you guys messing me up anymore".

Some of my diagnosed conditions:

-Narcolepsy (2x diagnosed)

-petite mal seizures

-knee derangement

-headaches

-undiagnosed heart condition (one documented on EEG with my heart stopping for 16 seconds)

-vertigo, and just passing out sometimes

-fatigue

-panic attacks

-major depressive disorder

-neck pain and derangement

-etc (have to go back through my old records)

So, my idea was that I would ignore these conditions and they would finally go away and I would never have to deal with medical again. Unfortunately, that's not the case. For the past two years I've had the same conditions that got me kicked out, and they've been getting worse. My family is always scolding me saying that I'm not going to wake up one day since I tend to pass out still and have seizures, panic attacks, and hallucinations (2 docs so far have recommended and implanted defibrilator, which i flat out refuse).

The reason I have no trust for medical is that I aqquired most of these conditions after a series of anthrax vaccinations, and now have a letter from the VHC (vaccine health center) saying that yes, the vaccine 100% caused these disabilities, which I received after my claim was already filed. I was never called in for my year and a half evaluation for tdrl (temporary disability retirement list), and have called and left messages but no one has ever called me back or attempted to contact me that I'm aware of.

Besides wanting to, well, not pass out and die one day, the main reason I'm looking to reopen my case and go back through this headache is my mother. Besides her being constantly worried about me she needs my help financially. She is disabled and recently divorced. I cut back on school and did go through vocation rehab here and more than qualified for a position in the ship yard (high paying). However, after testing and everything the voc rahab counselor sat me down and said "looking at your health record you are too much of a liability to be placed in that environment, we can't help you out, unless you can have a doctor come check in with you daily at your house and have you volunteer at a homeless shelter miles away from your house. Well, knowing how I feel about doctors, and not being allowed to drive (docs orders), I said "no thanks", and never called them back.

I've been told since my discharge to fight for the 100%, I should qualify no problem it's just going to be a headache, etc... I'm not really sure what to do since I haven't been going to medical for the past few years, I really need some advice/guidance. I don't mind going back to the doctor, but I'm not taking anymore of their medication (seizure meds nearly killed me), and am definitely not doing any surgeries.

I really don't want to call my doctor up out of the blue and start complaining of my symptoms, I hate that feeling, and I always end up feeling worse the more attention I give to the "conditions", then again they aren't going away on their own either. Any advice/guidance will be greatly appreciated, I know you guys have been in this system and have way more experience than I. Thank you!

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

If you want a better situation than you currently have, I think (my opinion) you need to schedule some appointments and start working the issues. Remember the old saying, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

You might want to start off with requesting a mental health appointment, to discuss your trust issues with doctors and ask that MH and Cardiology work together to identify a primary care provider that understands your tramatic experiences with Military Medical!

If you truly think that you would rather die than accept a pacemaker that will most likely prevent sudden cardiac death, I don't know that I can suggest much else than I have.

I really do hope the best for you,

I agree, it's been too long and I need to get back in there. I will call my doc first thing in the morning and start this process all over again. Thanks for the advice.