VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pacemaker/defibillator

Rate this question

Guest BUFF0405

Question

Guest BUFF0405

I have just recently had a pacemaker/Defibrillator implanted in my chest on June 16th. I am already 60%SC and drawing 100%IU because of the heart. I have heard that I can indefinitely be given 100%SC for as long as the AICD (Automatic Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillator is in my chest. It says this in Title 38 #7011. I am wondering what would happen to my P&T stautus?? I just want to know if anyone else has been successful changing from 100% IU to SC 100% using this device as the reason.

This would give me back my full retired pay and would be worth approx. $14K in the next two years. I am looking for advice/comments from any one that can help me make a decision on whether to apply for this new rating or not. Thanx.

Take care,

BUFF0405

Tampa

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

well they would have a hard time proving you are better just because they put a bug zapper in your chest, but I was told I was to big of a risk and they wouldn't put one in me, so medicate only until dead, is the theory they are treating me under.

Congrats getting them to give you the pacemaker, what does the rgulation state about the period after 2 years? If they don't give you P&T status when they award you 100%Schedular and want to wait to see if you get better, wilol that mess up any college stuff for your kids? There are to many potential snakes out there, think long and hard about opening a P&T award right now. Once you open the door all issues are fair game.

Buffo- doesn't the 60% with TDIU give you CRSC?

I wonder if any vet with a claim at the BVA site could help you-

http://www.va.gov/index.htm

Just go to the BVA link and click on search decisions- it might take time- you might have to put your condition in the browser many ways-but it could turn up something-

I am confused veteran-as I think you mean CRSC but maybe not- CRSC Combat Related Special Compensation.

Also do you fall into any SMC criteria? Special Monthly Compensation, 38 USC 1114 et al-

Welcome aboard veteran- Berta

Guest BUFF0405
well they would have a hard time proving you are better just because they put a bug zapper in your chest, but I was told I was to big of a risk and they wouldn't put one in me, so medicate only until dead, is the theory they are treating me under.

Congrats getting them to give you the pacemaker, what does the rgulation state about the period after 2 years? If they don't give you P&T status when they award you 100%Schedular and want to wait to see if you get better, wilol that mess up any college stuff for your kids? There are to many potential snakes out there, think long and hard about opening a P&T award right now. Once you open the door all issues are fair game.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta it might be Concurrent receipt, many veterans get the two issues mixed up, Combat related is usually for war injuries, and concurrent receipt is for health issues like COPD, heart, hemmeroids, chit like that, lol IBS. you all know what I mean rofl

Guest BUFF0405

TESTVET: Thanks for the reply. I had the Pacer/Defib. installed by private drs. and at a civilian hospital. Paid for by Medicare/Tricare.

The 2 year period that I talked about is when I would get my total retired pay returned (2009) even if I stay at the rating i have now.

No kids or wife to worry about supporting!!!

I guess P&T to me just means NO more exams or rechecking my records every year.

BERTA: Thanks for the reply and welcome. I was a member here a few years ago and kind of "lost my way".

I am not combat related, so the only way I can get my full retired pay NOW is to get 100%SC. I am now paid CRDP. I do not get any SMC either.

Later,

Dick in Tampa

Guest BUFF0405

Filed the claim today to move me to 100%SC. My Rep. says that after he has studied #7011 that it is a win/win situation. All that the VA wants proof of is that the AICD was implanted and when. He talked on the phone to a person that does the rating and he said that it is almost just a formality to go to the new rating. he also stated that I cannot lose anything because after they give me the 100%SC and later decide that was wrong that they can still only lower my rating back to what it is now--60SC and 100%IU. By the time all this happens and I appeal it, we should all have our total retired pay anyway. Right??

Something new, My rep. said that it started about a year ago. called VCAA, he said in about two months I will get a letter from VA saying that they have received my claim and want to know if there is more to add to the claim before they process it. My Rep. said to put down "nothing to add, please process" and to send back to them ASAP. He said that you only have 60 days to respond or they don't proceed. The whole thing sounds like a way to slow the process down even slower than it was before, IMHO.

Thanks again for the comments/advice.

Later,

Dick