Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Combat Related Pay

Rate this question

vet2010

Question

Hello all,

I was talking to a Vietnam Vet yesterday and he told me that I am entitled to Cmbat related pay to include backpay even if I didn't directly see any combat. I asked him how is this possible and he told me, "because I was Infantry for 20yrs and I got injured doing combat OR combat related training, I am entitled"? I am already 100%sc for a number of ailments...

Vet2010

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

vet2010, are you retired from the military?

Hello all,

I was talking to a Vietnam Vet yesterday and he told me that I am entitled to Cmbat related pay to include backpay even if I didn't directly see any combat. I asked him how is this possible and he told me, "because I was Infantry for 20yrs and I got injured doing combat OR combat related training, I am entitled"? I am already 100%sc for a number of ailments...

Vet2010

OK then, first hurdle jumped ...

Here is a DFAS link that briefly discusses Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) and Concurrent Retirement Disability Pay (CRDP) http://www.dfas.mil/...ty/payment.html . I believe your friend is referring to CRSC, which is managed by your military service.

As you profess to already have a 100%, I'm going to presume that you are already receiving full MilRetPay as well as full VA disability compensation.

If CRSC is approved, you may not get much more compensation, but I'd still encourage you to file for CSRC if you believe some of your disabilities are causes by "simulated war".

Why? Standard MilRetPay is subject to Federal and state income taxes. That portion of your MilRePay that DFAS determines to be eligible for CRSC now becomes non-taxable. You will still get that portion, but that amount is not reported on your 1099R and it isn't taxable. Although the gross retirement amount remains the same, you will have the income tax savings on that portion.

Retroactive payments depends on too many factors, and has always been opaque to me.

Yes, I am retired from the Army.....20yrs...