VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Analogous Migraine Associated Vertigo Rating W/ Dc 8100?

Rate this question

Helmand

Question

I have had vertigo that began during the last few months of active duty, but it was never truly diagnosed. I thought it might be Meniere's (6205) or some other peripheral vestibular disorder (6204). I tried SC'ing the Meniere's, and that was denied, as I expected. mellow.png I didn't know how else to make that claim; there is not a claim for just plain old regular vertigo. I relented, and put up with condition.

Fast forward a year now, with the vertigo attacks still occuring regularly. Long story short, two ENTs I saw on my own dime in Dubai think it is not an ENT condition, but rather something called migraine associated vertigo (MAV), which would be the area of expertise of a neurologist. I had never heard of MAV before, and I have done a fair amount of research on vertigo. I felt like I was getting somewhere and now would have a well-grounded claim.smile.png

So, I saw a neurologist on my own dime in Dubai as well. He did a MRI, and it showed that I have considerable white matter lesions and myelineal deterioration. He says this could be the cause for the vertigo, but still more tests are needed because it could be MS; I am back in Afghanistan now at my job site (yeah, I live here), so that will have to wait until the next R&R to do more tests. I have looked at the DBQ for MS, and it seems that it would better for me to pursue a MAV claim. I told him that I don't have the "classic" migraine headaches with the vertigo that often, only half the time. He said there are people that have MAV without headaches at all; there is probably this common misconception that headaches have to be present with this condition, but not true.

So what I need help with is knowing if I have a case with getting SC'd for the MAV with DC 8100. Is this the best way to ground my vertigo claim? Would a IMO from my Dubai doc saying that more likely than not my vertigo is more likely that not migraine associated vertigo that is clinically proven with the MRIs? Or should I get more tests? Finally, I have another post from today about C&P exams being conducted overseas. I don't expect that the VA will schedule a C&P in Dubai, so I am trying to ground my claim as best I can to preclude a C&P exam in CONUS. Thanks!

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Helmand,

I've had several bouts with "positional vertigo" in the past and it is not fun at all, so I can sympathize with you on your condition; I haven't heard of the MAV either, so I can't provide any opinion or recommendations to you.

Hopefully this "bump" will get others to chime in and provide you some recommendations to consider.

Thanks for your service too.

• HadIt.com Elder

Helmand,

You do not provide much information on how your vertigo and migraines were diagnosed and who made these diagnoses. Are you sure you are not having unilateral or bilateral temporal headaches or occipital headaches.

I had chronic headaches for fifteen years before seeing a VA doctor. It took three years of seeing at least a half dozen VA doctors before I found a doctor who took the time to run the proper tests and make an accurate diagnosis of my symptoms.

I originally complained of vertigo and headaches. As time went on I learned I did not have vertigo. My headaches were primarily occipital headaches which at times involved symptoms of both occipital and temporal headaches. What I called vertigo was later determined to be a milder form of dizziness called giddiness.

I was referred to a VA neurologist who did not even explain anything to me and did an MRI and EEG. Both tests did not find any cause for my symptoms. My symptoms were medically undiagnosed for three years after I started seeking treatment. Three years later I finally found a doctor who made a diagnosis based on history and tests. These types of diagnoses require an understanding of history and tests (see the link I posted below).

I my case the headaches and giddiness occurred at the same time. Most significantly the symptoms occurred as a result of activity. Fishing, golf, jogging etc. Bottom line is that the doctor suspected from the history that I had a high neck injury. A new MRI confirmed the high neck injury. An EMG showed nerve conduction slowing. A high neck injury is considered a medically accepted cause for all my symptom patterns.

http://braindiseases...t-represent-ms/

Edited by Hoppy