VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Measurement Of Scars For Va Rating Purposes

Rate this question

georgiapapa

Question

Under 7801 of the VA Schedule of Ratings for Scars; ratings for scars are partially determined by the size of the scar. In the instructions of the DBQ for Scars it states "Provide all linear measurements in centimeters and area measurements in centimeters squared." "For non-linear scars, measure the length and width at their widest points." In the summary sections of the DBQ the doctor is to list the approximate total area of the scars.

Based on the aforementnioned instructions of the DBQ, it appears the doctor determines the size of non-linear scars by multiplying the length of the non-linear scar by the width of the widest point of the non-linear scar. Am I correct?

I have a non-linear deep tissue scar which is approximately 10 and 3/4 inches long and 1 and 1/2 inches wide at the widest point. However most of the scar is 3/4 inches in width. If you measure 10 and 3/4 inches x 1 and 1/2 inches the scar would be calculated at 16.125 square inches and would rate a 20% rating. If you measure 10 and 3/4 inches x 0.75 inches the scar would be calculated at 8.0625 square inches and would rate a 10% rating. I know the actual size of the scar would be somewhere in between the two totals but I am trying to find out how the VA determines the size of a non-linear scar without guessing. Do they actually use the widest point of the scar times the length of the scar to determine the measurement of the scar?

Please give me your input, especially veterans who have actually had claims for non-linear scars.

Georgiapapa...

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Under 7801 of the VA Schedule of Ratings for Scars; ratings for scars are partially determined by the size of the scar. In the instructions of the DBQ for Scars it states "Provide all linear measurements in centimeters and area measurements in centimeters squared." "For non-linear scars, measure the length and width at their widest points." In the summary sections of the DBQ the doctor is to list the approximate total area of the scars.

Based on the aforementnioned instructions of the DBQ, it appears the doctor determines the size of non-linear scars by multiplying the length of the non-linear scar by the width of the widest point of the non-linear scar. Am I correct?

I have a non-linear deep tissue scar which is approximately 10 and 3/4 inches long and 1 and 1/2 inches wide at the widest point. However most of the scar is 3/4 inches in width. If you measure 10 and 3/4 inches x 1 and 1/2 inches the scar would be calculated at 16.125 square inches and would rate a 20% rating. If you measure 10 and 3/4 inches x 0.75 inches the scar would be calculated at 8.0625 square inches and would rate a 10% rating. I know the actual size of the scar would be somewhere in between the two totals but I am trying to find out how the VA determines the size of a non-linear scar without guessing. Do they actually use the widest point of the scar times the length of the scar to determine the measurement of the scar?

Please give me your input, especially veterans who have actually had claims for non-linear scars.

Georgiapapa...

Sorry I don't have any answer to your topic issue,'georgiapapa', however, thanks for the 7801 info. I have a few hellacious combat scars that I never received an ounce of SC for. I think I may add them to my claim while waiting for certification of my BVA appeal hearing.

Edited by Commander Bob

At my husband's C&P, the examiner measured all of his scars with a tape measure. He only has one "linear" scar, but she didn't include it because she said there was nothing in the SMR's to verify the operation that caused it. Ironic, because the screw in his shoulder didn't get in there by itself, and oh, yeah, the surgery is in the copy of his SMR's we received.

What I did was take the human shaped outline and mark all over with a red marker where his scars were. Then I kept reminding her she'd missed this one, that one, etc. She was getting annoyed, but hell, each scar counts!!!

Georgiapapa, if that scar is measurably "wide" they should be recording the area, not just the width. If they try to just measure the length, tell them that your doctor said it was a A x B sized scar. Maybe you could ask your PCP to measure it to get the accurate measurements into your VA record? I wish in retrospect that DH had done that. At the time, his VA PCP was great and would've been happy to oblige.

So anyone who has any measurable scar that could be SC'd.... Claim it!!

Commander Bob, I am glad the info helped you.

Hedgey, I like your idea of having my VA PCP measure the scar. Since my VA PCP is an NP and not a doctor, I don't know if her measurements will carry much weight with a VA rater but I will try it. If my VA PCP was a doctor, I would ask the doctor to complete a DBQ for the scar.

Tanker 2,

I don't know the answer to your question. Perhaps someone else may be able to answer it.

Georgiapapa...