Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gerd & Ptsd Comments Welcome

Rate this question

Hoppy

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

New studies are showing that individuals with confirmed diagnoses of PTSD have an incidence rate for GERD that is two times the general population.

These studies also indicate that these individuals were exposed to dust. However, the levels of exposure to dust or any other dust related disorders have not been identified. There are no studies of individuals who live in dust, hydrocarbon or any other pollutant prone areas showing a high incidence of GERD.

The veteran contends that it is “as likely as not” that mental disorders are just as capable of causing the high incidence of GERD as dust or any other pollutant. The veteran concedes that pollutants can cause irritations of the esophagus. However, a required symptom of GERD is regurgitation. Regurgitation is the result of the lower esophageal sphincter not functioning properly. There is no evidence that the levels of dust experienced in the noted studies caused injuries to the lower esophageal sphincter. There are several theories as to the mechanisms involved in lower esophageal sphincter dysfunction. However, all that is known at this time is that persons with mental disorders have an incidence rate for GERD that is twice the general population.

See research article at:

http://www.medpageto...erage/ACG/16728

I guess the key here is whether or not an incidence rate of twice the general population will fly. It is my understanding that a 2 to 1 incidence rate for Gulf vets allowed MS to be service connected.

Edited by Hoppy

Hoppy

100% for Angioedema with secondary conditions.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Thanks Hoppy... very interesting. I have claims in currently for PTSD and Gerd and I am a GWV. Gerd was diagnosed in service and is listed in my SMR. I now have Barrett's Desease also from it. Hiatel Hernia is also documented in SMR.. so do not where this will all lead. Yes I am currently on meds for Gerd, given by the VA here in Indy. Pantoprazole

South Indianapolis message me if you need help, and if I can I will

I also am starting to gold pan as a hobby, and if your interested maybe we can hook up.

• HadIt.com Elder

Keep us posted. I am assisting a veteran who was diagnosed with GERD while in Iraq. He continued treatment at a VAMC nine months after discharge. So far he has been denied then remanded. They have really got the claim messed up.

Hoppy

100% for Angioedema with secondary conditions.