• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How To Request C-file

Rate this question

Guest jangrin

Question

Guest jangrin

Hi Everyone,

We requested my husbands SMRs from NARA, but they said his records were sent to the RO. We are still trying to get his SMRs. Is there a specific form we use when requesting a copy of the c-file from the RO. Do we have to ask for prior military records duty & medical or are all records in the c-file? Is there a fee for copying? How long should it take for them to process request? Need a little help. Thanks ahead of time for your response.

Jangrin :rolleyes:

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA C File should have everything the VA has. Most Veterans are surprised at what they find in their C File.

• HadIt.com Elder
Hi Everyone,

We requested my husbands SMRs from NARA, but they said his records were sent to the RO. We are still trying to get his SMRs. Is there a specific form we use when requesting a copy of the c-file from the RO. Do we have to ask for prior military records duty & medical or are all records in the c-file? Is there a fee for copying? How long should it take for them to process request? Need a little help. Thanks ahead of time for your response.

Jangrin :rolleyes:

Jangrin

If you wish his administrative records, I would go on line and fill out the forms for the St. Louis Archives. They will have those records and you may also type in for them to do a complete search for any medical records which they may have. In my case all of my phychiatric records were at the archives and never secured by the Va. As for his medical records, they should be in the claims file at the Regional Office. My experience is that they will tell you that it will take at least 6 months to secure them. I got mine from them by visiting the office in person and asking for the copies.

I hope that this may help you some.

Josephine

A simple letter to your RO's office, typically addressed to the head cat, will suffice. There is no charge but typically takes them a coupla months. It should include absolutely everything they are and have been using to make their decisions. Where you request your service records on for a complete set varies by services. I would contact your local Veteran Benefits Rep. and ask him to do it for you or at least give you the address and format.