Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rated 30% For Depression. Misdiagnosed Ptsd? And A Few Other Questions...

Rate this question

lostinthailand

Question

Hi Everyone,

I got out of the Navy in 2008 and was awarded a 70% combined rating for sleep apnea (50%), major depression (30%), and tinnitus (10%). I also got a 0% rating for an ankle injury.

I'm now wondering if the depression was actually misdiagnosed PTSD, and if I should submit a new claim. I was aircrew and our plane was regularly intercepted by enemy aircraft and locked onto by guided missile radar. I told this to the doctor that saw me for my first VA benefits claim. I now have nightmares about it, get uncomfortable on flights, etc, and other standard symptoms of PTSD. For anyone who thinks I'm being a pssy, you can kiss my ass until you've been there. My depression is now much worse than it was in 2008.

So, would I be wasting my time if I submit a new claim for PTSD. What would I need to show to prove it?

I'm also wondering if I could claim my frequent migraine headaches which I think are a result of the sleep apnea, and ask for an increase on my ankle injury which is getting worse.

I hate dealing with the VA and am really embarrassed/ashamed to even be writing about all this. However, if I'm entitled to more compensation my family could sure use the extra income.

Thanks,

LIT

Edited by lostinthailand

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Not sure how to answer or make suggestions for you. But I would suggest you start going to a vet center and unload some of what you feel and see if that helps.

Good Luck! Stillhere

You have absolutely no reason to feel ashamed or embarrassed.

If your service caused you disabilities, then you deserve compensation, as It is the debt our grateful nation owes you.

However the VA will only consider one MH issue. They wont comp you extra under a PTSD claim. You could ask for an increase of the 30% SC depression.

You arent pssy in my opinion at ALL!

I see you are at 70%. Were you employed at time of that award?

If you are unemployed now and feel the SCs have hindered your employment, please file for TDIU ( paid at the 100% rate).

We have a lot of info here on TDIU in our TDIU forum as to how to prepare the TDIU form.

"I'm also wondering if I could claim my frequent migraine headaches which I think are a result of the sleep apnea, and ask for an increase on my ankle injury which is getting worse."

Absolutely for both disabilities.

However you will need a strong nexus statement from a Doctor as to whether the SA is causing the migraines.

Also you will need treatment records on the ankle that show it has gotten worse.

Do you have treatment records and take meds for the migraines?

Even the depression might be the cause but whatever the cause, it will take a doctor's linkage ,with a full medical rationale, as to why they feel the migraines are caused by either the SA (the most probable cause in my opinion )and/or the Depression.

Also if you take any SC med that could possibly cause migraines, tell VA that too ,and get a good internet printout of this side affect of the med, that would support that,too.

VA changed their PTSD criteria in 2010 (at the objection of many of us advocates, veterans, lawyers, and vet reps)...and I do think you would fall into the new regulations as to hostile fire etc.... but then again, I think you should build on the established SC of depression you have now,for a higher rating, and not file for PTSD at all.

It will not bring you any monetary gain at all, and you dont have the required PTSD diagnosis.I would leave that alone and go to the VA Schedule of Ratings here at hadit, look up your disabilities and see what evidence they will need for a higher rating.

But with the 70%,if you are not employed, check out the TDIU forum as well.

Welcome Aboard!!!!! Thank you for your Service!

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Thanks for all the great info! That's just what I was looking for. I haven't had a real job since I left the Navy in 2008 so I'll take a look at the TDIU info.

I live in Thailand, is it possible to submit a claim and get everything taken care of without returning to the US?

Much of my medical stuff over the last three years has been taken care of at small clinics without any documentation or records to speak of. I could probably ask them to write us some records of past treatments though. I'm wondering if foreign medical records and doctors opinions from international doctors satisfy the VA?

Once I get all my records together, who is the best organization to contact for help submitting my claim. The DAV helped me with my last claim. I was planning to ask their assistance again.

Thanks again!

LIT

VA has a program for vets living overseas and we have a few vets here at hadit who have used this program such as Chinavet:

DAV might well direct you to this program but some NSOs never even have heard of it.

Here is the VA press release when they developed the program:

Here is the VA descritpion of the program:

http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/fmp/fmp.asp

I dont see anything specifically for Thailand but I am sure their contact numbers can help you.

The VA might have liason with the Department State Department in Thailand :

http://www.state.gov/p/eap/ci/th/

or via the US Embassy in Bangkok

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/

Also we did a SVR show here at hadit available at

http://www.svr-radio.com/archives.html

with Glenn Johnson around Sept 2010 in the archives.

If you click on the sound icon it should downloan on your PC and you could open the show and listen ti it.

Glenn is the head CHAMPVA person with VA and did this show on the VA's Foreign Program for vets.

Maybe that show is the best bet ,first for you, because I am sure Glenn gave his contact info on the show and he would know how to best inform you along with the link info here.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.