Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dro Interview Over ..

Rate this question

jcolwell

Question

I promised an update to the group on my interview at DRO Phoenix.
My appeal is Ischemic Heart Disease with ICD, perimeter augmentee 1970 and jet
engine mechanic with travel to test cell site weekly.
I used the Dave D map( thanks Dave) to show where I went on base. I never
mentioned my barracks. Also in appeal is Chronic renal disease secondard to IHD
and GERD service connection. DBQ in file for both of these.
VSO advised to go with informal interview versus formal interview. Informal
interview was more like a conversation , questions from all parties back and
forth. He did ask about travel and stopping in Vietnam ( I did Travis to Udorn
)He used the term AO throughout the meeting. Despite the casual atmosphere of
the meeting I knew he was evaluating my demeanor etc.
He was most impressed with my statement from my Colonel who also signed my
evaluation and went back to this several times as very strong evidence.
Initially he wanted my SSDI file but then changed his mind and said he would not
need it after all. I have all private records and never had a C and P.
My wife an RN was present and allowed to speak to my history of indigestion
since DC and ongoing GERD and Barrett's. I had 2 statements from family RN's. He
also referred to John G buddy letter as evidence. Thanks John G on this site.
He noted that everything was in order and the DBQ completed was excellent. He
fell short of saying I might get a approval but told the VSO , " you know this
will be 100% with the ICD". He repeated several times " you have strong evidence
from your prior Colonel". He also said if IHD approved then DM2 would be
approved as well ( another claim ). After meeting VSO spoke with us in hallway
she said she thought he would probably approved the claim.
I cant count the chickens yet, and the fat lady has not started singing. I would
retro back to 10/2010.
Then VSO took me back to office and filed 5 more claims on secondard stuff like
ED etc.
Thanks Jim and Patsy

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I hear you about the new claims being filed now.I have always heard it will slow things down. I filed for DM2 and HTN and depression about 6 months ago while my appeal was pending and really I don't think it slowed the appeal down at all. We were prepared to wait 2-3 years from what VSO said. During the interview he mentioned all the others diagnosis he noticed in the history and physicals. Despite this being about an apeal for 3 issues he did allow my RN wife to show him a list of all of my diagnosis and a list of all of my meds............I am honestly glad they put it all out there so that I don't have to file them myself. My health is such that I wanted to get everything filed just in case.

We are hopeful but know the train could derail at any time for a variety of reasons. I do have confidence in the VSO we had at the meeting. Lucky for us the guy that was suppose to sit in on the meeting was ill and we got the one we really like. Time will tell.

Thank you for your interest.

PS : One thing we learned from our VSO which we just got 6 months ago..........file for a DRO interview in person. We sat on our case for 1.5 years and finally I felt we had done everything we could to move it along......we went to DAV met with VSO and she immediately file for a hearing which we never thought we needed. The meeting happened 6 months after our request.

it is funny how we learn to accept the " Deviant of the Normal. Jim and Patsy

It certainly sounds to me that you fall into the VA Thailand AO directives:

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/thailand.asp

Yes, I do fall under this directive

"Also in appeal is Chronic renal disease secondard to IHD

and GERD service connection. DBQ in file for both of these."

"He also said if IHD approved then DM2 would be

approved as well ( another claim )" That's right.

The Renal disease is more likely due to the DMII than the IHD.Unless the DBQ doc says otherwise.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Diabetes/WhyDiabetesMatters/Kidney-Disease-Diabetes_UCM_313867_Article.jsp

HTN and CAD came first, the Kidney arrived right about time the DM2 arrive. They both had been cooking for about one year in my MR . Kidney got diagnosied first then DM shortly after.

http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/diabetes.cfm

And the GERD can be associated strong with the DMII as well, hope the doctor made that connection for you.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3155063/

GERD claimed as service connected .

as started in service with fair documentation with GI issues and DC with Chronic indigestion , claiming progressed to GERD with Barretts and HH.

If you or any vet has been prescribed NSAIDs,by the VA and they too can cause GERD and the VA usually will SC GERD to VA Prescribed NSAIDs fairly easily because this is a well known fact in the general medical community. Not been a user of NSAIDS

Udorn, 1970, perimeter augmentee...it cant get any better, in my opinion, then that for AO disabilities ,due to your service in Thailand.

Hopefully this is a winner. I hope you are right........Thanks for your guidance , all of you . Jim and Patsy

It certainly sounds to me that you fall into the VA Thailand AO directives:

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/thailand.asp

"Also in appeal is Chronic renal disease secondard to IHD

and GERD service connection. DBQ in file for both of these."

"He also said if IHD approved then DM2 would be

approved as well ( another claim )" That's right.

The Renal disease is more likely due to the DMII than the IHD.Unless the DBQ doc says otherwise.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Diabetes/WhyDiabetesMatters/Kidney-Disease-Diabetes_UCM_313867_Article.jsp

http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/diabetes.cfm

And the GERD can be associated strong with the DMII as well, hope the doctor made that connection for you.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3155063/

If you or any vet has been prescribed NSAIDs,by the VA and they too can cause GERD and the VA usually will SC GERD to VA Prescribed NSAIDs fairly easily because this is a well known fact in the general medical community.

Udorn, 1970, perimeter augmentee...it cant get any better, in my opinion, then that for AO disabilities ,due to your service in Thailand.

Hopefully this is a winner.

My last DRO process was filed Jan 2011, hearing requested in NOD, hearing March 2011 transcripts Mid May 2011. As of 3/26/2013 ebenefits shows a decision (not a SOC).

I think there is so much variability between RO's in person request - vs written request really doesn't matter.

Just waiting for this decision to show up, since no SOC it should be a full grant.

My last DRO process was filed Jan 2011, hearing requested in NOD, hearing March 2011 transcripts Mid May 2011. As of 3/26/2013 ebenefits shows a decision (not a SOC).

I think there is so much variability between RO's in person request - vs written request really doesn't matter.

Just waiting for this decision to show up, since no SOC it should be a full grant.

Your VSO switched this to informal? That would indicate there will be no transcript - nothing said in that meeting is part of the record, the only thing that will be part of the record is the DRO's notes and any evidence that they actually put in the C-File. Did they give you a receipt for any documents you handed over?

I really hope this DRO was on the level with you. If this goes horribly wrong (yes their is a potential for that) you need to fire the VSO, and send a written complaint about his/her blatent stupidity!

Got my fingers crossed for you!

Ditto -

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.