Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Warning/exam

Rate this question

deanbrt

Question

I had an appointment at my VAMC yesterday. 30% of my rating is for my knees and varicose veins. They have been getting worse along with my hips and I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy in both feet and carpal tunnel in both hands after testing last year.

I recently got cortisone shots in both the hips and knees to help but decided to try physical therapy again. I had done it 3 times before without much success but things were getting worse so I decided to try again. The first 3 were all contracted out locally. This time it was at the VAMC My first appt was a month ago. Yesterday was my second.

When I arrived I was asked by the therapist if a student could sit in. I said sure and asked what school he went ti. He said " I don't". Then the therapist said 'he is applying for a job here". She said we would go through the prescribed exercises and wanted to know if I wanted to do range of motion testing today or wait until next month. I said I would rather wait but that it would have to be July because I have cataract surgery scheduled for May and June for the other eye. Next thing I know I am doing range of motion tests without agreeing to it.

I am very uncomfortable about what the intent was yesterday. Last September I was scheduled for varicose vein surgery. I had it to postpone it to December because of a heart condition I developed. In November I got a letter from VAMC for an appt in early December to do an ultrasound on my varicose veins. I had just had one done months earlier and the technician could not figure out why it was being done. My heart condition did not improve and the varicose vein surgeon and I agreed the mid December surgery should be postponed indefinitely. In January i got another VAMC letter for an ultrasound exam in February. This time I called questioned why the exam. They said it was a mistake and cancelled it.

I faxed in a request for a copy of the exam notes from yesterday. I may be exhibiting some paranoia but I would encourage any vet going for a service related examination to be honest but aware that your best interests may not be in play and what you say could hurt your rating. Again, I may be overreacting. I will know better when I see the exam notes.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Unless this "volunteer" was registered as such and the VAMC/Clinic can prove they had been trained on HIPPA and they have completed the usual certification/non-disclosure form, it would still be a HIPPA violation. Is it worth pursuing? - probably not. I don't know that as a volunteer he really had a "right" to be there.

Best regards,

I don't have a claim Legate. I am 100% P&T. Having the patient advocate verify is easy enough to do.I am a little uncomfortable, Legate, that you posted exactly the same words under the name Legion on VBN.

There are many cases where a student has completed their course work but need to satisfy the requirement for X number of hours of clinical work under the supervision of a licensed MH professional. For example, all psychologists must complete practicum hours in a clinical setting while in school, pre-doc clinical hours (again under supervision, often after course work has been completed), then post-doc hours after they pass their licensure exams.

Such a person would say they're not in school once they completed their course work. That could be a year or more before they are licensed psychologists.

I don't get your concern. You posted the same question on VBN so I gave you the same answer. Might be helpful for those here who don't go to VBN. ??