Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Eczema?

Rate this question

shackman81

Question

Hello all,

I was in Iraq from April '03 to April '04, over the past 3 years I have started having lots of skin problems, mainly that of eczema on my torso, most recently though I developed a very severe case of dishydrotic hand eczema.

Nobody in my family has ever had eczema of any kind, My question is, if I file a claim for this, do I have to prove that it is service related? and if so, how would I even begin to pinpoint exactly what caused this?

It's so bad that I can hardly sleep at night, I wake up often in pain, I have went so far as to poor scalding hot water on it to kill off the top layer of skin and ease the pain.

I never had any skin problems in my life before the military, not even acne.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

"do I have to prove that it is service related?" depends on the nature of your service. You state you were in Iraq - make sure you have the service time and location documented. Also, see if it is one of the presumptive conditions related to GWS. If so, you shouldn't have much trouble proving it. Either way, I'd get an IMO just to make sure your proof was solid for SC reasons.

As for the condition, don't irritate the skin in any way. Are you sure it's eczema and not psoriasis? With eczema, you need to treat the skin with anti inflammatory topicals, steroid creams and antihistamines. Get attention soon as this will only get worse. I have severe psoriasis and use immunosuppressives (steroids, Humira and Leflunomide) to keep it under control. I also have to use topicals (coal tar/ lidocaine combo works great). Bottom line: file a claim.

Limbo is status quo for the VARO.

Also remember that you have VA health care for 5 years after your discharge so you can get it treated first and in your records and then worry about SC, My old motto of treat it first then claim it,

Hope you have a copy of your medical records from service and if you had it treated while you were in that will help too.

The other thing while you are at the clinic/hospital check in at the C&P office there and see if you can get set up for an exam.

You young people did a hell of a job and we old vets do not want you to have to face all the BS we have!

Thank you, For your service! Stillhere

At the VA today and I stopped by the C&P office. There just happened to be a Dr. coming out and I stopped and told him I like to ask him a question about the young vets getting out know that have been in Iraq and he said sure. Told him I had a friend down the street who had what he thinks in excema and was thinking of claiming it. He said that it was pretty common and at this point no, but he said to tell you to come in and get it treated and go from there.

Just like I said you have 5 years of free health care!

Stillhere

Great advice, still - and great stealth work! I'll have to keep this in mind when talking to my docs the next time I go to the VAMC.

Limbo is status quo for the VARO.