Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lumbar C&p Results.

Rate this question

HSCM

Question

It has been an interesting 3 year journey so far. I might see a light at the end of the tunnel or it could be a train. Been spending a lot of time fixing what the VA didn’t rate right. Below is my recent lumbar exam, the one that was never done in my initial claim, but somehow got a rating of 10 %. I am thinking it going to turn out to be 20% Lumbar and 20+10 bilateral rating for Radiculopathy. Anyone want to venture a guess how this will end. If I end up 40% lumbar and 20 + 10 for Radiculopathy I will be 100%

Forgot one thing, do they rate scaitc and femoral nerve separately or the worse of the two? Since the exam says they are both hosed up.

The lumbar exam.

4/10 lumbar back pain always

45 degree forward flexion of lumbar spine

Abnormal Gait.

Ankle Plantar Flex Right and Left 4/5

Great Toe extension Right and Left 4/5

1+ Deep tendon reflexes left knee and ankle

Decreased sensation to light touch L2,L3,L4,L5, S1 left and right

Positive straight leg test

Involvement of femoral and sciatic nerve left and right.

Level of Radiculopathy

Right: Mild

Left Moderate

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

It has been an interesting 3 year journey so far. I might see a light at the end of the tunnel or it could be a train. Been spending a lot of time fixing what the VA didn’t rate right. Below is my recent lumbar exam, the one that was never done in my initial claim, but somehow got a rating of 10 %. I am thinking it going to turn out to be 20% Lumbar and 20+10 bilateral rating for Radiculopathy. Anyone want to venture a guess how this will end. If I end up 40% lumbar and 20 + 10 for Radiculopathy I will be 100%

Forgot one thing, do they rate scaitc and femoral nerve separately or the worse of the two? Since the exam says they are both hosed up.

The lumbar exam.

4/10 lumbar back pain always

45 degree forward flexion of lumbar spine

Abnormal Gait.

Ankle Plantar Flex Right and Left 4/5

Great Toe extension Right and Left 4/5

1+ Deep tendon reflexes left knee and ankle

Decreased sensation to light touch L2,L3,L4,L5, S1 left and right

Positive straight leg test

Involvement of femoral and sciatic nerve left and right.

Level of Radiculopathy

Right: Mild

Left Moderate

Based on the evidence you provided. You are not going to get 40 percent for your back. 45 degrees forward flexion is only 20 percent. Femoral nerve and sciatic nerves are not separately rated they considered one disability in one extremity. You will get a separate evaluation for each extremity. Again, based on your exam results. Right lower extremity radiculopathy is 10 percent being it is mild and left lower extremity is 20 percent being that is it at moderate degree. Based on your data above your disabilities would be: 20% for the back, 10% for the right lower extremity, and 20% for the left lower extremity. Your combined disability then will be 40 percent and not 50% because VA do not add each disability (as regular math would) VA uses their own math based on diminishing effect.