Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

L5-S1 Lumbar....

Rate this question

rpowell01

Question

I need some advice since I haven't been getting much help from Neuropain after telling them my Lower lumbar needs urgent attention and that they only want to work on one part of the spine at a time.

I am getting a lot of pain in the ridge of my lumbar, enough to put tears in my eyes. I now have more radiculopathy, more pain in my calves and front of the thighs.

I don't take any opiates because the VA will not give me any. I guess this is the new policy. I do take Tramadol 300mg per day and Gabapentin 3200mg per day.

Is there any thing that will help this pain. I have tried ice but it comes right back. I can't lay on my back because it gets worse. The only thing I can find that helps is to lay on my stomach.

Are there any other home treatments I can try? I know about heat which never has helped me, its always been ice that has helped but not this time.

Thanks

Rob

• Answers 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have been labeled as an Undifferentiated spondyloarthopathy, I don't qualify as RA (flunked the test) and I don't qualify as Ankylosing spondylosis since I didn't have a certain marker present. So I get to (sarcasm on) enjoy a little of each (sarcasm off)!

did you have a special blood test for the ankylosis spondylosis? thanks.

yes the HLA-B27 negative response and some x-ray findings indicate I do not have "ankylosing spondylitis" which is what put me into the very vague working diagnosis of Undifferentiated spondyloarthopathy, but some day it may become full fledged AS.

Edited by 71M10

Well after finding out the VA Surgeon refuses to do surgery on my L5-S1 I am in need of some advice. The EMG contradicts my last MRI and the surgeon REFUSES to go by the EMG. I am in a lot of pain in my legs, feet and toes. Is there ANY procedure were they can go in deaden those two nerve roots? I am willing to give up everything to have to to just go in and cut those things in half. I would rather deal with NO pain instead of this torture!!!!

Well after finding out the VA Surgeon refuses to do surgery on my L5-S1 I am in need of some advice. The EMG contradicts my last MRI and the surgeon REFUSES to go by the EMG. I am in a lot of pain in my legs, feet and toes. Is there ANY procedure were they can go in deaden those two nerve roots? I am willing to give up everything to have to to just go in and cut those things in half. I would rather deal with NO pain instead of this torture!!!!

i believe there is because one of my doctors at the va hospital in gainesville wanted to do a similar procedure. it was never done. i don't remember the specifics but i think the problem was the doctor was licensed to do the procedure.