Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Stressor Verified Or Not?

Rate this question

MikeS

Question

U. S. Army Centre for Unit Records Research was unable to provide information about this. To the extent that the veteran's story can be corroborated, it is corroborated. Further, the USAF Health Record shows the veteran was seen for psychiatric problems after he returned. For these reasons, service connection for PTSD is warranted.

What do you all think considering the pending PTSD reviews?

Mike S.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Guest VetWife Advocate
U. S. Army Centre for Unit Records Research was unable to provide information about this.  To the extent that the veteran's story can be corroborated, it is corroborated.  Further, the USAF Health Record shows the veteran was seen for psychiatric problems after he returned.  For these reasons, service connection for PTSD is warranted.

Mike S.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mike, Should not be a problem, but it seems the VARO's are crapshoots!! In Joe's records all over SMR's, VAMC about his knees, but they still deny him!! Go figure.

Brenda B)

Mike, Should not be a problem, but it seems the VARO's are crapshoots!!  In Joe's records all over SMR's, VAMC about his knees, but they still deny him!!  Go figure.

Brenda  B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mike- the fact that VA says it is corroborated should continue to mean that you do not have to worry.

It is uncorroborated stressors that concerns the VA, where they took the word of the veteran because -in most cases the stressor was consistent with the time and place yet not corroborated.

I imagine that many PTSD vets have had a multitude of stressors anyhow -certainly a war vet would- even if not combat, there is always a chance one can find a buddy on the net if needed. And as I posted before, the VA does have a way to attempt to help a vet find a buddy if they are part of the VA system.

Berta

Mike:

Too little information to make a guess

kibble

U. S. Army Centre for Unit Records Research was unable to provide information about this.  To the extent that the veteran's story can be corroborated, it is corroborated.  Further, the USAF Health Record shows the veteran was seen for psychiatric problems after he returned.  For these reasons, service connection for PTSD is warranted.

Mike S.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am actually worried about my wife's stressor (and all vets suffering from sexual assault). My wife was raped (twice) while in the AF and really has nothing to back up that claim. She did file an official report after she was separated, but we know how those go.....! I think, in the end, she will be ok because she had a great AF psychiatrist and she was medically retied from the AF due to the rape(s)...essentially, the AF admitted they happened and that they caused it, but, again, I have only their word, no real proof.

What worries me most is that most victims of sexual assault in the military have NO proof and would only have the opinions of psychs to back up their claims. The VA could easily prey on this group of veterans if they chose to do so.

P.S. - Like the new forum Tbird:-)

I watch the lawyers on TV at night- am addicted to legal stuff- one point they make-

demeanor of a victim after a rape changes and those who notice this are witnesses to the radical change due to the trauma of rape-

I would think- and hope- that the VA considers this too- Buddy statements as to a serviceperson's behavior and personnel records as to any change in job performance or personality comparing before and after could be very effective in helping establish a nexus.

I have a local vet who just won a claim - I helped him by highlighting how, during his service, his behavior suddenly changed. It was documented in his personnel reports and we found record of a Capts mast. This was a mental disorder and not due to rape but still

his VA shrink agreed that the service period showed drastic changes that could only be from first manifestations of mental disorder.

I watch the lawyers on TV at night- am addicted to legal stuff- one point they make-

demeanor of a victim after a rape changes and those who notice this are witnesses to the radical change due to the trauma of rape-

I would think- and hope- that the VA considers this too- Buddy statements as to  a serviceperson's behavior and personnel records as to any change in job performance or personality  comparing before and after could be very effective in helping establish a nexus.

I have a local vet who just won a claim - I helped him by highlighting how, during his service, his behavior suddenly changed. It was documented in his personnel reports and we found record of a Capts mast. This was a mental disorder and not due to rape but still

his VA shrink agreed that the service period showed drastic changes that could only be from first manifestations of mental disorder.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Logically speaking you are correct, but the VA rarely uses logic:-) The VA could easily deem that the PTSD was caused by unspecified reasons and the claim is unsubstantiated in almost every rape case it sees. Also, some disorders can have no "triggers"....bipolar, mood disorders, personality disorders, etc could all be blamed for these incodents. Also, PTSD often has delayed onset, which they could attribute to issues before military service (or at least speculate as to such).

Up 'till now the VA and the military have been fairly good about taking a veteran's word in regards to rape and one can only hope they continue the trend, but I see this group of people as the most vulnerable under the current set of regulations in regards to stressers.