Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Moderate Depression And Mild Threshold Shifts In Hearing

Rate this question

KDM

Question

Ok both of these have a Nexus Quiestion, what would the genreral rating be or is this compensable?

I know the depression should be GAFscore a constant 45 to 55

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

They are Mild but they say that its Least likely as not connected to mmy acoustic trauma in service I also am service connected for Bilatereal tinnitus

as likely as not = 50/50 tie goes to the Veteran this would be a grant

less likely as not= less than 50% and this would be a denial

"Threshold shifts" in service means that there was a change in your hearing and audio testing showed a shift usually a worsening in your hearing as shown on an audiogram

"Whisper tests" were used alot in the Korea and RVN era Veterans. The examiner whispered in the Veterans ear and if the Vet could hear the examiner then the Veteran's hearing was marked with a "w" "w" for each ear showing whisper. If your service treatmen records show W W where your audio db numbers should be then you had the whisper testing.

There is a VA audio doctor I think he is in Shreveport, LA, or in Big Spring, Texas who writes in big BOLD RED marker that "whisper test is not a legitimate test for knowing if a veteran has a hearing loss." or something close to that. It really makes him mad that testing was not done properly. Anyway if you have a WW on your hearing records and you have been denied or have not filed for a hearing loss (if you suspect you have a hearing loss) you should flle a claim.

Edited by harleyman