VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Today Was My Last Day

Rate this question

qwiksting

Question

Today was my last day of work. I turned in 1 physicians statement and waiting on the other one which I hopefully will get on wednesday. I am going out on a medical retirement with the state of Florida, due to mainly ptsd/anxiety and meds. I will be on leave until it gets approved (4 to 8 weeks I was told by HR). I was told to also file for Social security Disability. I did that today also. Is there anything else I should be following up on or doing?

Thanks for any positive suggestions. I feel like I am out here all alone.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

qwiksting,

It sounds like you are doing what you need to get done. I am hoping everything goes smoothly for you.

Edited by free_spirit_etc

Today was my last day of work. I turned in 1 physicians statement and waiting on the other one which I hopefully will get on wednesday. I am going out on a medical retirement with the state of Florida, due to mainly ptsd/anxiety and meds. I will be on leave until it gets approved (4 to 8 weeks I was told by HR). I was told to also file for Social security Disability. I did that today also. Is there anything else I should be following up on or doing?

Thanks for any positive suggestions. I feel like I am out here all alone.

Well sweetie - you are not alone !

Take the weekend off and breathe deep when you feel anxious.

Everything else can wait until next week - relax :-)

• HadIt.com Elder

ok you have retired from a state position. What is your rating now and what are you asking the VA to do as far as your rating and compensation? Did your doctors tell you that it was medically necessary for you to leave work due to your SC medical conditions? You have saving I hope as this will still take a year or more for an award letter on these issues if that early. There is nothing fast about rate increases. Now you need to make sure the medical evidence supports the out come you are looking for, without that evidence spelling it out for them you could easily wind up on the appeal train to BVA.

SSD can take anywhere from 5 months to 2 or 3 years if you are denied and have to ask for a hearing with an ALJ which frankly about 70% of the SSD claims end up do not get a lawyer until they have approved it at a local level and are sending it to the ALJ then get get an attorney is my 2 cents each area is different for average times for hearings some states is a year some 18 months, 24 months, 30 months and the longest I have heard is 36 months, it doesn't matter they all pay back pay but going months with checks coming in sucks. Find some cheap hobbies to keep you busy, e benefits and the 1-800 number will just drive you crazy and it does not speed them up I was lucky my SSD I filed in Oct 2002 it was approved in April 2003 effective my last day of work in Jun 2002, my PTSD was approved in May 2005 at 50% I filed the appeal the next day in person, a year later and another C&P exam mt PTSD was properly rated at 100% P&T and they still denied my CAD issues. I appealed those issues to BVA, it was not approved until April 2009 with award letter and money in June 2009 back to Dec 2003. Now I leave the VARO alone and get great medical treatment from the VAMC or the Fee basis office pays the bills for the emergency care I need and they put my pacemaker/defib 3 lead device in at a private hospital by a private cardiologist

The one physician statement/paper stated I:

__X___ Severe limitation of functional capacity; permanently incapable of any kind of work; totally and permanently disabled

from gainful employment.

This was filled out by my PCP at the VA. I am waiting for the other statement from my MH doc at the VA. I should get it on wednesday.

The above check mark is on a state of florida disability physicians statement. Also he said primary reason for disability is PTSD, secondary reason is CAD, sleep apnea

I am rated 70% ptsd since 2005. 10% hand, 10% tinnitus, 0% reflux with ulcer (I got this rating in july which I NOD with DRO)

Edited by qwiksting