Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Member Ptsd Claim Help Advice

Rate this question

seahawkfan

Question

Hello vets, I am a discharged US Marine who served in OIF as an infantryman during the invasion. I discharged shortly after returning home. PTSD was never something that gave us any information about in 03. I have lived with ptsd for many years not really knowing what was wrong with me but figured it was just something I had to live with from my combat experiences. I self medicated for years with Alchohol to deal with the stress, anxiety and sleep problems. My wife in the last year has been at the end of her rope with my drinking. I have been dry for a year but its been a hard year dealing with ptsd without my main coping tool (alchohol). I have seek counseling which I have started as well as being medicated for nightmares and anxiety from a private doctor. I live in a very rural area in Forks WA which makes it hard and expensive to travel to any VSO Facility for help processing a claim. My question is is it strongly suggested to get the help of a VSO or is it acheivable to file a claim through ebenefits by myself with the help of information from this site. Thanks for any advice I can get from you vets.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe it's best to go w/o a VSO. Most I have found do nothing and in fact actually screw you. Everything you need can be found online, if you are halfway intelligent. Oops, forgot, you're a Marine! (just kidding!!) It just takes time. jmo

pr

Sorry the Army was full, when you went in, and you had to settle for second best! ;-) Hope you don't mind a little inter-service ball busting.

Edited by Philip Rogers

Oh... sorry he had to settle for second best and didn't get in the Air Force...

Sorry the Army was full, when you went in, and you had to settle for second best! ;-) Hope you don't mind a little inter-service ball busting.

Think Outside the Box!

Do you have a diagnosis of PTSD yet?

And yes, it is very "doable" to do a claim on your own. In fact, if you use a VSO, you need to do all the leg work, follow up to make sure they have done their part, and double check any advice they give you. So they are often just an additional aggravation.

There are some good ones out there. But... even the good ones are so dang busy they don't have a lot of time to spend on each claim.

Think Outside the Box!

Funny Guys lol. Free spirit I do not have a formal diagnosis of ptsd yet. I am seeing a counselor and my personal doctor is medicating me for it. Do I need to go to a private phychologist or a VA phychologist for that. Im very new to this I did not even know about ptsd compensation untill my counselor strongly urged me to apply. Any and all help or advice would be much appreciated.

I am certainly not an expert on this. I know I have read in here that for PTSD claims the VA must be the ones that diagnose it. Being a combat vet, you shouldn't have too much trouble proving your "stressor." Here is an examination form for things they look for:

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-0960P-3-ARE.pdf

Think Outside the Box!

I believe that the PTSD rules changed in 2010 to where PTSD has to be diagnosed by the VA, which unfortunately for you means a trip to the VA clinic or medicaal center. Now as to need to use a VSO, you can do the claim on your own but even if you do use a VSO you need to stay on top of your claim. Most of the VSOs are very busy and it's hard to get in to see them or even talk to them on the phone.

Good Luck

Rick

Take nothing but pictures Leave nothing but footprints