VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental Health Indoc Screening. And Other C&p Questions.

Rate this question

K9MAL

Question

I have several service connected disabilities that give me a lot of pain every day. I deal with migraines (30%), a busted up shoulder (30%) and a bum knee and ankle (both at 10%). I've noticed over time that this constant pain and dealing with it often leaves me in a bad mood and depressed, bummed out, for lack of a better term.

I called VA Mental Health and they said to come in next week for some type of indoc screening to see if I would be a candidate for therapy. I've never been to therapy or seen a mental health person so I'm pretty anxious and not sure what to expect.

Will there be testing? Just talking? I have no idea what to expect and am worried and stressed about the whole deal. Can anybody offer any direction or advice?

Thank you!

Edited by K9MAL

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks. I've wanted to go in for quite some time but my anxiety about going in has been preventing me.

Not sure why I get so worked up about it… Maybe fear of the unknown.

Thanks. I've wanted to go in for quite some time but my anxiety about going in has been preventing me.

Not sure why I get so worked up about it… Maybe fear of the unknown.

Your fear is very normal. I felt the same way but after that very first meeting I knew I was in the right spot and in good hands! Just talking to the medical experts can give you a whole new perspective. Only other thing I can say is be honest about what you're feelings so they can properly advise you or if necessary, give you a diagnosis! Nothing to be ashamed of...You are in my prayers!

LC

"I ADVISE & ENJOIN THOSE WHO DIRECT THIS WEBSITE IN THE TOMORROWS NEVER TO ADVOCATE ANY CAUSE FOR PERSONAL PROFIT OR PREFERMENT. I WOULD WISH IT ALWAYS TO BE 'THE TOCSIN' & TO DEVOTE ITSELF TO THE POLICIES OF EQUALITY & INJUSTICE TO THE UNDERPRIVILEGED.

IF THIS WEBSITE SHOULD AT ANYTIME BE THE VOICE OF SELF-INTEREST OR BECOME THE SPOKESMAN OF PRIVILEGE OR SELFISHNESS IT WOULD BE UNTRUE TO ITS HISTORY."

God Bless you all and Good Luck.

LOOSE CANNON

For Real Solutions For Positive Change Visit http://www.veteranwarriors1.com/index.html

Did you get a diagnosis of depression yet? You mentioned above that the pain from your service connected conditions causes you to be bummed out and depressed. Maybe it's time to file a claim for depression secondary to migraines or secondary to shoulder. I can only imagine that type of pain & dealing with it everyday, would cause anyone to become depressed. It seems like since you're not able to work right now, you should be pursuing 100% combined rating.

Did you get a diagnosis of depression yet? You mentioned above that the pain from your service connected conditions causes you to be bummed out and depressed. Maybe it's time to file a claim for depression secondary to migraines or secondary to shoulder. I can only imagine that type of pain & dealing with it everyday, would cause anyone to become depressed. It seems like since you're not able to work right now, you should be pursuing 100% combined rating.

I met with a guy for less than 10 minutes, he diagnosed me as depressed, prescribed me Mirtazapine and that was that. He didn't tie anything to any service-connected injury as far as I could tell from reading his very brief notes. Basically, you're depressed, eat these.

The therapist appointment they gave me is on May 23rd. So, in order to actually see someone, talk about my issues in depth, and actually possibly get something accomplished is a 4 month wait.

I have problems with depression, I can admit it, it sucks. I honestly feel it's tied to my SC injuries I've sustained. The people I feel really bad for are the severely troubled vets who end up not being able to receive help in a timely manner.

Currently, we're having 22 suicides, by service members, a day! The system is severely broken.