VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans Service Officer Competency Program.

Rate this question

Guest jstacy

Question

I just had an Idea, I have read so many horror stories about VSO's passing out bad advice over the years.

I have had 1 from the DAV that totally destroyed a claim I had because he put the wrong information.

I am getting sick and tired of seeing Veterans get the same old run around by these people.

I believe that there should be a competency process for anyone who desires to be a VSO.

There should be a test administered to all VSO's and the ones who do not pass it, send them down the road and get ones who can pass. I am willing to bet that over 50 percent of current service officers cannot pass a test that pertains to VA regulations and ECT. This is extremely sad.

There are several SSA retirees who go into buisness to assist people to get SSD because they are experts in the system and know what it takes. I would like to see VA Retirees do the same activity. The only problem is that the VA system is in such array with so many discombobulated individuals, It would be hard to know who you can or cannot trust.

Someone posted about changing the system, We need to overhaul it from the ground up starting with the VSO's

John.

Edited by jstacy

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

John- I wrote to the Veterans Disability Commission about this-some time ago-

I volunteered to write up an annual Vet Rep test-many vet reps do not have a clue-

if they came here they would not know what we were talking about-

many got their training years ago-my NVLSP certificate is 9 years old- what I was tested on has all changed in 38 CFR.

I spend my own time and money to keep up on the all the latest regs etc-

The odd thing is- my claims are the test-

Vet reps would have to properly assess and give advise on them.

It could show exactly what area of expertise the vet rep is lacking in-dependent on their assessment and advise.

they cover:

Direct SC

Section 1151 SC

PTSD-combat-Vietnam

TDIU

Voc Rehab

P & T 100%SC

Agent Orange disability-Nehmer

SMC under SC Sec 1151

SMC under direct SC -Nehmer

DIC under Sec 1151 DIC as class action member of Nehmer Court Order

Accrued benefits SC and also Bonny V Principi- additional entitlement-

REPS 2 years of entitlement (SSA program-VA sends them the award letter)

Chapter 35

They seem to cover many issues that any veteran would have-

and also FTCA but vet reps do not get involved with those types of suits against the VA.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Terry-most accredited NSOs and state vet reps get their training via auspices of NVLSP- the same training I got- they also go to a big seminar in Texas which I never attended becasue I dont want to be an NSO or vet rep-

A VA vet rep- that is one who is paid by the VA and shows up in an office at a VAMC---God knows what kind of training they get- I knew one good here in Bath VAMC and he was on the ball but only because he sincerely wanted to help vets-

He was relocated and the VA vet rep who replaced him told me his claim had been at the NY City RO for almost 6 years- so that showed me what he knew-

he described his evidence and his claim and he was already done for-in my opinion-

Someone I know recently went through the basic training to become a SO. He gave me the class material and test for me to read and look over. I am not looking at taking the course or becoming a SO, but I was just interested in reading and looking over what the course contained. Well, out of curiosity, before I even read any of the class material, I took the test. I was shocked at some of the questions on the test. Most of it basically had nothing to do with the meat of working a veterans claim. There were questions that I thought that were very unique things, have nothing to do with a nomal claim and not your general information of "need to know" things. These I thought were things best, at the time it may come up, to look up the information. If you don't know the basics of the process starting out, then I don't see how you could expect to possibly be able to help a veteran with their claim. The training material may have covered more basic information as I have not yet looked over it, but I think the test could have been better. I only hope the contents of the training material is better put together.

JMO

mssoup1

Guest rickb54

I was a DAV service officer for 5 years. The first 3 years was OJT.... I learned everything on my own,asked a lot of questions, did a lot of reading. Later DAV said we had to be certified. The DAV put together a Four hour course, and then we took a test. The test did not cover any serious material it was eyewash, but if you passed the test you got your certificate of certification. Just because someone pass a test does not make them qualified to be a service officer.

It reminds me of the Army correspodence course program. We would take the course to earn promotion points. We would get the exams in the mail, and without reading the course material answer the questions because the exam was open book. If you were lucky your buddy took the same course already and passed you the answers so that you could get credit. It is a shame but a lot of guys would get a certificate of compleation in some case never having read one book, and it the end they still did not know the material, but because of the certificate they received promotion points and a certificate to hang on the wall. Wow.. that was a flash back to better times.......

In 1997 I had to take about ten tests and each one was graded-

things have sure changed-

"Just because someone pass a test does not make them qualified to be a service officer." you are right and they have to become accredited to represent a vet at the VA.

The VA supplies the accreditation forms and I think that too involves another test-

That is for an individual-not affiliated with a chartered vet org- but I think- and could be wrong- as a hired NSO or vet rep-with a state or national vet org-you are umbrellaed into the VA accreditation because your org is already accredited and chartered?

We have a guy locally who the AL canned- he actually has charge MONEY to vets I know to help with their claims-

Rick- I think you are member of ALLVETS and NVO like I am?

What is going on with NVO?

Have they sent you anything re: their USVET newsletter or even asked for dues?

I cannot get into their site.

I was also thinking not only of a test but a complete proficincy program that would include testing but also continuing educational courses with requirement of a certain number of hours in order to maintain a certification. If the VSO does not comply, Then they must be removed. The Paid VSO,s need to have a more rigorus system.