Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I File For These?

Rate this question

usdart

Question

My current Claim for PTSD, Hearing, Tinitus and an increase for Sinusitus is at the Prep for Notification phase.

While I am waiting I am considering filing for Sleep Apnea and Migranes that are well documented in my VA health records.

Should I file for these?

Are these secondary to PTSD?

I have already been tested and diagnosed with sleep apnea in 1999 and I have a cpap machine at home. I did not know these were compensable until recently. The nightmares are terrible, I wake up screaming and violently kicking and punching.

5 answers to this question

If you have been diagnosed with PTSD for a long time, then I would submit the Apnea as Secondary to PTSD. Submit the Migraines separately. I was like you, when I was Medically Retired last year, I got 80% SC and I did not even apply for the VA claim, the Navy did. So I did not know what to submit claims for. I have learned so much from all the great people on Hadit. My FDC should move soon like yours, and I will probably be 100%, but I have 5 or 6 secondary conditions to submit an FDC for. I want to stay Schedular 100%, so that the VA does not mess with me in the future. Being IU 100% to me, is the worst kind of 100%. One of my best friends died on Christmas Eve, and he was only 65% SC, but 100% IU. His wife lost all his benefits and is having to beg, and reapply for benefits, praying to get something to live on. She lost Her Truck and RV already, and I pray she does not lose her home. God bless you bud, and keep us posted.

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

If they are well documented in your VA records as you put it, then sure...

You bet!

I assume by the above statment that you mean they are documented as being treated while you were in the military.

How long ago did you get out?

You never know when he VA is going to try and reduce you. I will be 100% soon, and I am still going to submit a claim for 5 or 6 secondary conditions. I want to be Schedular 100%, and don't want the VA or SSA trying to find a way to reduce us every 6 months. As long as you are happy with the Outcome, we are here to support you.

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

I agree with Navy04. If you have secondary or other debilitating conditions, submit them. Besides the concerns about a potential reduction in the future, if there are conditions which dramatically impact your life, your ability to work, or could potentially be life threatening, you should at least have a service connection on the books. My personal rationale is that should one of these end my life, having SC established will streamline the DIC process for my wife.