Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bva Hearing Timeframes

Rate this question

mozartplayer

Question

On June 18, 2013, Gerald T. Manar, VFW Deputy Director of National Veterans Service, testified before the Veterans' Affairs Subcommittee on Disability Assistance and Memorial Affairs on the subject of "Why are veterans waiting years on appeals?: A review of the post-decision process for appealed veterans' disability claims." His testimony explains why I've been waiting so long for the BVA video conference I requested in September 2011 after being denied in February 2011. It was actually the NOD I filed in September 2011, but didn't file the VA Form 9 until September 2012 because it took the VA RO ten months to send me the SOC which I received October 2012. Could not filed the Form 9 until I received the SOC. Consequently, it's been only a little over 18 months since I filed the VA Form 9 which means I still have a long wait ahead of me. In the meantime, I still have active hairy-cell leukemia diagnosed about the same time as prostate cancer was diagnosed. Fortunately, the prostate cancer is in remission after radiation leaving me with residual impairments, but I still see my oncologist every six months for the hairy-cell leukemia which will probably require chemotherapy in the future. Both prostate cancer and hairy-cell leukemia are on the VA's list of Agent Orange Presumptive Diseases, but I've been unable to find proof of my classified 1962 TDY to Tan Son Nnut from Kadena AFB, Okinawa. It's just as likely my prostate cancer and/or hairy-cell leukemia were associated with exposure to TCE which I used on a regular basis throughout my 8 years of Air Force active duty to clean electronic components. I suspect there are also hundreds of veterans who acquired diseases simply from being stationed on military bases which the EPA later determined to be Superfund Cleanup Sites which in my case, meant Dover AFB, Langley AFB and Elmendorf AFB, all of which were contaminated with a myriad of toxic chemicals.

Link to transcript of Gerald T. Manar's testimony before Congressional Subcommitee:

http://www.vfw.org/VFW-in-DC/Congressional-Testimony/%E2%80%9CWhy-Are-Veterans-Waiting-Years-on-Appeal----A-Review-of-the-Post-Decision-Process-for-Appealed-Veterans%E2%80%99-Disability-Benefits-Claims-%E2%80%9D/

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question