Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Is Enhanced Eligibility?

Rate this question

jet187

Question

Does anyone know what Enhanced Eligibility with the VA is for and what it does for Veterans?

I have been trying to help some guys in my unit enroll in the VA but the VA keeps telling some of them they are not eligible because they make to much money, and a few guys had no problem getting enrolled. They all have fairly decent jobs but in no ways a millionaire or making over 100K. They just want to get enrolled in the VA and get some things looked at.

I went to my Eligibility Office in East Orange and spoke with a woman, told her the situation that they make to much money, etc. and she said that to tell my guys to tell their Eligibility office that they are Gulf War veterans and that should fix the problem with the Financial part. She said that under the Enhanced Eligibility the Financial part is waived.

Is that true?

When my guys go back and say that they are Gulf vets and they want to enroll under Enhanced Eligibility they are told otherwise & denied.

A buddy of mine finally just got enrolled in the Houston VA system but not after a couple of trips & told he wasn't eligible due to making to much money. The 3rd time he called me, while he was at the VA with the eligibility rep and was having a hard time again, I told him to tell the guy to call his supervisor.

I even went on the VA website took a picture of the Enhanced Eligiblity with my phone and sent it to my buddy and told him to show it to the Eligibility rep.

While on the phone I hear the guy talking and then tells my buddy that yes he is eligible because he was awarded the Southwest Asia Medal. He texted me today that he received his VA package in the mail this past week and has his first appt. in July.

He did mention the VA Eligibility rep. was nice enough but he got the vibe the guy didn't know or was aware of the policy until he called the supervisor.

Its like some VAs don't even know about the Enhanced Eligiblity criteria policy and tell Veterans they aren't eligible for enrollment when they are. It's very aggravating & frustrating!!

Under the VA's Enhanced Eligibility criteria it states:

Certain Veterans may be afforded enhanced eligibility status when applying and enrolling in the VA health care system. Veterans who:

Are a Former POW

receipt Purple Heart

receipt of Medal of Honor

have a compensable VA awarded service connected disability of 10% or more

receipt of a VA Pension

were discharged from the military because of a disability, early out, or hardship

Served in a Theater of Operations for 5 years post discharge

Served in the Republic of Vietnam from 1962-1975

Served in the Persian Gulf from Aug.2 1990-November 11, 1998.

Does anyone know what Enhanced Eligiblity is, what it means or what it does for Veterans listed in the above criteria?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Good info in Todd's link and this is not exactly the current info ,..........:

'Served in the Persian Gulf from Aug.2 1990-November 11, 1998'

The Gulf War regs cover all OND,OIF,OEF vets up until Dec 2016...so far and I expect that date to be exteneded at some point.

"VA presumes certain chronic, unexplained symptoms existing for 6 months or more are related to Gulf War service without regard to cause. These "presumptive" illnesses must have appeared during active duty in the Southwest Asia theater of military operations or by December 31, 2016, and be at least 10 percent disabling. These illnesses include:" etc etc

- See more at: http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/gulfwar/medically-unexplained-illness.asp#sthash.02614HuT.dpuf

BTW this VA link also states:
"We prefer not to use the term “Gulf War Syndrome” when referring to medically unexplained symptoms reported by Gulf War Veterans. Why? Because symptoms vary widely. "

- See more at: http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/gulfwar/medically-unexplained-illness.asp#sthash.02614HuT.dpuf

I never advise any vet to claim"Gulf War Syndrome" and leave it at that......the BVA has denied claims on that basis.

'Gulf War Syndrome' is not a diagnosis or a ratable disability.

Claims of that kind must be expanded on with medical evidence that conforms to the entire regulation.

Edited by Berta

Thanks for the feedback Todd & Berta, much appreciated.

The question still remains what exactly is Enhanced Eligibility and how it applies to Veterans listed under the Enhanced Eligibility criteria? Specifically how it applies to Veterans who served in the Persian Gulf from Aug.2 1990 to November 11 1998.

Todd's post of the VA's Combat Veteran Eligibility Enhanced Eligibility only mentions eligibility for health care for Veterans who served in a theater of combat operations AFTER November 11 1998, and they have 5 yrs. from discharge to apply for healthcare.

I am talking about BEFORE November 11 1998, and Gulf War Veterans who have been out since the war's end, I was discharged in 1992.

If I go on the VA site now it is clearly stated on the VA site Veterans Eligibility, under Enhanced Eligibility when applying for Healthcare.

The Combat Veteran Eligibility memo does mention if a veteran who does not enroll during their Enhanced Authority Period, eligibility to enroll and subsequent care is based on other factors such as: it gives a laundry list of factors but it did say the Veteran's financial circumstances.

I guess this might be the part that some of my guys in my unit & other Gulf War vets get tripped up on? And perhaps why VA employees in the Eligibility office across the country are focused maybe on the Vets from OIF/OEF/OND and confuse the interpretation of the memo?

I think that is where the disconnect is. I think they run Vets prior to OIF-OND thru the VA system for enrollment and if a guy makes above the Financial assessment part they get kicked out of the system & denied. This is what happened to my buddy, but he finally won on the 3rd time when he asked to speak to the supervisor and then they found out he had the Southwest Asia Medal and POOF! He became eligible!!

This directive was not in effect until Jan.28 2008 and states a veteran had to be discharged ON or AFTER Jan. 28 2003 with a 5 yr window from discharge.

Am I wrong in saying this does not apply to Gulf War veterans? We were 1990-1991, that is a long stretch to 2003.

This is what makes me question what does Enhanced Eligiblity mean and how does it effect enrolling for VA care for the Vets listed under the criteria?

The way I read & understand it is any Gulf War veteran can walk in off the street to the local VA and say they want to apply for healthcare with the VA under the Enhanced Eligiblity rule because they served in the Persian Gulf between the dates listed.

Am I wrong? If I am not reading it correctly I apologize in advance.

Just looking for the straight scoop.

Thanks