Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Clothing Allowance

Rate this question

bankersonny

Question

I just received a letter from the VA today. in reference to Clothing Allowance, I am service connected for my back and knee. I am currently receiving a clothing allowance for the brace on my back. My question is can you get two clothing allowances. Or is the VA trying to stop my clothing allowance? I have been receiving this allowance since 1993. I just went to a C&P exam a few weeks ago. Does that mean anything.

Concerned Veteran.

5 answers to this question

Yes, you can get two clothing allowance however, when you apply for more than one clothing allowance you will have to apply every year. Normally people who have been receiving one clothing allowance yearly didn't have to apply the would receive it automatically. So be aware that once you file for more than one you will have to file yearly.

I received a letter telling me that I need to fill out VA Form 10-8678 and submit it to prosthetics department of my local VA Med Center before August 1st.

Just called the Prosthetics Department to see if they got my request for Clothing Allowance and was told by someone who answered the phone that next time bring it to the VA prosthetics dept. so that they can date stamp it so I would know that they have. So, I plan on taking another one up there this week with my damaged clothing so that I won't have to go twice and then I will know that they have everything they need from me.

I received a letter telling me that my request had been approved. I normally receive two, but the letter didn't confirm this. Then the next sentence said I didn't qualify. I called the prosthetics people, and the woman told me they were having problems with this type of issue. At first, she told me I didn't understand the letter. I think I can read a letter! I told her there was conflicting information from one paragraph to another. THEN she pulled up my file and confirmed that I was approved. I still don't know if it was for single or double. I suggest you call them no matter what happens and have them pull up your file. I think my processing time was about a month (?).

I sent in my request by regular mail and when I called yesterday they couldn't find it. So I filled out another form and took it there myself along with some of my damaged clothing. I also showed him my devices and he said yeah I see you got them all on. I asked him if he wanted to see my clothing and he said "no I don't need to see them but you should have taken a picture of them to file with my claim" I said what do you mean he said "she can't put clothes in the files" I said you are joking, right he said "no next time take pictures and file it with your claim. Nonetheless I left there speechless because I am trying to figure out if I will be going back there again with my clothes for them to inspect.

Are they trying to discourage us from filing for clothing allowance!

It sounds like it. I get that they can't just approve all without some sort of proof. I was told the same (take pictures) regarding psoriasis flare-ups to prove I should be at 60%. If he asked for pictures, provide them. It will make your life a bit less stressful and will help them stick to their regs. I know it seems idiotic. If you are provided a device by the same office approving/disapproving your application, it should be a no-brainer. Then again, how many other processes within the VA are self-contradictory?