Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Acquired Psychological Disorder To Include Ptsd?

Rate this question

youngmp3

Question

I logged on to my Ebenifits account today to find that the details of my claim have final been upload. This is what they state:

Contentions: Adjustment disorder with depressed mood (New), Traumatic brain injury with memory loss (New), acquired psycological disorder to include PTSD (New), sleep disorder with insomnia (New), Right knee condition with s/p meniscal tear (New), Residual scars (hands, shoulders and chest) (New), tinnitus (New)

My question is why doesn't it just say PTSD but instead says "acquired psychological disorder to include PTSD? Sorry if this is a supid question. I tried to find someone else online with the same question but no luck. please help

4 answers to this question

I think they are using the new DSM IV and how did you get all that info of EB, I can't

Hugh

I was able to login then go to view my status>C & P claim status and upload documentation>then click on the date in which your claim was received. it should show details to the claim on that page. hopefully this helped

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV), was the manual that doctors use to diagnose mental illness. It has been recently updated to DSM V and they have changed some of the terminology and the way disorders are diagnosed. It is technical gobbley-goop for the medical profession.

In the old DSM IV, PTSD didn't have the "acquired" added to it. DSM 5 now classifies mental disorders as either life long or an acquired disorder. The theory is that you "acquire it" later in life due to some sort of traumatic event. It doesn't really mean much other than how they label it. They have to label the disorders in order to get insurance to pay for it...that is all the labeling is about...and they need to define it for you to get your C&P.

As long as it is still able to be SC I wouldn't worry too much about it. Basically it is the same thing they just used more words to describe it.

Edited by Barbamatt