Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C-File Questions

Rate this question

Barbamatt

Question

I have a couple of questions about C-files.

1. How long are they kept?

2. Are they always kept at a local office?

3. What happens when you move?

The last time I filed a claim I lived in Atlanta area...and all previous claims were handled by the Atlanta VARO. Since then I have moved to Tennessee. My closest VARO is in Nashville. When I left Atlanta I left a change of address.

Now that I have SSDI I want to submit to the VA that I am receiving it. Which VARO has my records? Who would I notify? and how can I request a copy of my C-file. Will Nashville VARO be able to get it if it is in Atlanta?

It is impractical for me to go to Atlanta as I don't have the means to get there and back. I want the file to see what is in there because I plan on filing for TDIU based on the fact that I can not work due to my SC disability and use SSDI as proof.

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

You have to file in the state in which you reside. How did you make the Atlanta RO aware of the address change, hopefully via certified mail with proof of delivery returned to you? They would have transferred your claims file to the RO in the state of your new residence. File an IRIS inquiry via the ebenefits.va.gov website and find out if your file is in Nashville. If it's not there, do the same thing with the Atlanta RO. If it's not there either, they lost it.