Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Scott11B - Ptsd

Rate this question

Scott11B

Question

Hey I just Started my claim back in january of this year only had 1 appt. so far for ptsd just went in and talked to some lady sitting at a computer asking me random questions about my life and ptsd. She told me not to go into detail about any events that happened. But then just last month I recieved back pay money from the VA and I called the VA to see if there was a mistake they said no the money is yours you have been diagnosed with ptsd and given a 30% rating??? I have plenty of military buddies and neighbors that are vets going thru this process and they have to talk to a psychiatrist about specific events in detail and some are getting 50% or more for just ptsd, others are still going to psychiatrist appts and still arent getting paid. I was wandering how this was possible? did I just get pushed thru the system? how could I be given a diagnoses and rating with out seeing a pyschitrist and if she was a psychitrist how could I get a diagnoses and rating in 1 visit without ever going into detail about anything. I don't really want to go into detail about things with them cause it makes it worse but i feel like im getting cheated because they don't know the whole story and how its affecting me. All I got asked was if i live alone asked about relationships pretty much yes and no questions and then how much i drank and asked if i did illegal drugs. and thats about it she just read questions off the computer and typed in the answers i gave her and in 15 min we were done and she told me i could leave? Kinda confusing I got no where trying to find out anything from the VA when I called after being on hold for over an hour and when I called my VA rep and told her what happened she laughed and said do you want to give the money back. I was like no but its not about the money I feel like I got cheated onany type of help or treatment and cheated on the rating as a result. I did finally get another appt for a hearing test but still no other appts to see a psychitrist.?? anyone have anything similar happen to them?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Scott11B: Brother, I will tell you this about the appointments. VA will not knock on your door to make you set up appointments. I don't mean that in a condasending way to offend you. If appointments you want, go the mental help clinic and ask for them and once you go to your first, don't leave until you get scheduled into another. Do not worry about being given just 30% now, focus on getting that percentage raised. Make an appeal. Let the appeal process tun its course, in the mean time seek treatment. Like I said, they won't beg you to go see them, nor they will voluntarily enroll you on anything. About being cheated ... here is the deal, more than likely you got the right rating for ptsd, unless you are a treat to yourself, others, and you can't find a job or maintain one. The next rating for you would be 50%. If you have a steady job and there isn't many unemployment gaps in your history. The examiner could recomend you be rated at 30%. Employability is a big deal for VA when it comes to rate ptsd, also the symptoms, but employability kinda reenforces your diagnose. Nobody with severe ptsd is able to hold a job for a long time, and finding one is even harder since we get really anxious and flunk interviews because of it. Now, I'm just assuming that you have a steady job and you are not a treat to your self and others. I assumed that because of your rating, the very same way examiners asume from your answers. If they ask you: What hobbies do have? and you answer something like this: I play video games or I go camping. Boom! that right there sets you up for a lower rating like 30%, since nobody with severe ptsd (50% 70% 100%) has any hobbies or past times like going out camping, surfing, call of duty or anything of that matter. Those of us with severe ptsd avoid places, crowds, stressful situations, have trust issues ...ect. I'm not saying you don't just think of the questions you were asked and how you answerd them. That will tell you if you got cheated or not. My opinion, hope everything goes well.

- I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell -

If you tell them that you feel pretty good because you are having a good day during the C&P exam then you will be cheating yourself. They should be trained to ask the questions correctly such as "How is your worst day and how often are you having these symptoms?" I have been diagnosed by a C&P examiner and had it changed by another. So yes, it does happen. I didnt see that anyone was told to lie about anything!!! You have to defend yourself. A C&P exam has nothing to do with treatment and everything to do with getting rated!!! You are not there to get treated for anything. You go to get the highest rating you deserve due to disabilities incurred during service to your Country!!

@vet201060: Exactly my point. Sure there are many examiners who lowball vets on a daily basis, but the truth is that many vets get lowballed because they either share too much or share too little. Hey, we live with other people around us like loved ones, but if they ask you how you spend your time don't go in there saying "surrounded by family and friends" because they will take it as if you were having a great time with them. The answer to that question is "alone". Because even when surronded by family and friends we feel and spend our time (inside) alone. Those are not lies, I am not coaching anyone to lie, that is the truth. The questions are tricky and many vets fall for the simple "how are you today?". I was once told: How'bout them Cowboys? Many vets will engage in a football conversation, and there nothing wrong with that, but for some reason VA thinks that if you have ptsd you can't enjoy some football, and this is the type of over sharing that hurts many vets.

- I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell -

@neferaM, I agree with you

I had a C&P last Friday and the Dr. repeated the eval back to me. He asked me if he was correct in saying these conditions are worse then the last rating in 2010. I felt like he actually listened to me. I dont feel like he tried to trick me and was straight forward with me. Are there things I wish I would have added, well of course there are. He asked about how many times a week am I feeling a certain way and I told him the truth. Sometimes things are really bad. I know the past week has been good for me. I am feeling better about the system when I get treated like I did by this Dr even tho it was over a computer. At first I thought that was bad but maybe it wasnt because I was all alone in the room and I felt more comfortable in giving details.

I must say I respect everyone's opinion on here because they care enough to give it. Sometimes it just seems like they take it out of context and get mad at another Vet. I just didnt like how it read against Philip Rogers and Free Spirit. I have seen him on here many times helping Vets out and Meg just seemed harsh. Maybe Meg was having a bad day. I know those all to well and understand. I wish all you well!

Hey thanks for the replies Im not to concerned about the money at this point just really surprised about how they go about diagnosing people and treatment. I evidently have enough on my dd form 214 to get me 30% for ptsd because i have no other evidence i guess you would say. i never sought mental health care since i got out in 2005 never sought help for depression or any other symptom. Just my combat related stuff on my dd form 214. As far as the questions I was asked i answered them all truthfully except the ones i knew would get me committed. Since i have gotten out in 2005 i have changed jobs 7 different times with unemployment between some jobs. I moved away from my home state and family i live bymyself I do nothing or have no hobbies just go to work and come home. at the time of my interview with the examiner i was actually unemployed. I am just surprised that they would give a diagnosis or rating without seeing a actual psychiatrist and after they diagnose you and rate you its like there saying "here is your money go away" No trying to get you appointments to get treatment or anything. From the guys I know going thru the same thing its been a totally different process for me they didnt have to make mental health appointments they got scheduled regular appointments with psychiatrists before they were even diagnosed. its just a messed up situation i think. If 30% can be just handed to me based off my dd form 214 and that questionaire the lady asked me i wander what it would go to if i actually sat down with a psychitrist.