Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question On Issues After C&p

Rate this question

Michelle

Question

Hello Again Everyone, this is for T-Bird, or anyone that has the knowledge.

I asked my RO (through IRIS -VA Email) for a copy of my C&P Exam that I just had on 9-21-06 (Mental Portion) but I guess I should have asked for it before I left the Psych office in Tuskegee. He stated that my RO would not have a copy of my C&P yet that it takes 30-45 days after the exam before they get the results back. First, I think that's a big fat lie. I was sitting right there while they were typing everything into the computer system and I know it's only a click away from the RO getting it. The Psychiatrist didn't even have my file, all he had was 2 Sheets of paper telling him what to do or look for at this exam because I brought it to him from when I checked in they gave it to me and asked me to give it to the Doctor. So, you know I read it :D

I also asked in making their decision on this claim if they could clear up or address for me why the previous Rating Decision I received didn't address the VA Examiner's diagnosis on "Major Depressive Disorder in partial remission". He stated that I would have to send a separate statement addressing the "MDD" to determine if an error was made or not. Let me explain for you:

In my last Rating Decision from June 2005 (I requested an increase in my Polyneuropathy and PTSD and received it) However, it states "Examiner also diagnosed the Veteran with PTSD and (the key word being "And") "Major Depressive Disorder" in partial remission. He also noted that "my anger, avoidance of people, hypervigilence, difficulties trusting people and intrusive thoughts are worse". Then he specifically stated that "due to veterans PTSD it has a negative impact on my occupational functioning due to my difficulty concentrating, my reduced tolerance for frustration, my tendency to pull away from others and my reduced motivation."

I found a Board of Appeals case which may help but I wanted to ask you all first before I waste my time.

The examiner didn't state or say that it was Secondary to the PTSD like he stated other things in relation to the PTSD. But is it a Secondary Condition to PTSD?

I want a copy of my C&P Exams how should I go about it? Should I call the Mental Health Section where I had it? Or just wait till I get a decision on my new claim for T&P due to IU.

Michelle

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Michelle, go to the VA where you had the C@P exam. It can take up to 60 days for everything to be reported because the Doctor hasdo wrtite the report. Go to the medical records section and fill out the form and request a copy. If it is available, they should give it to you. if not ask to leave the form on file and send it to you as soon as it is available.

Edited by jstacy

I think the form is called "Release of Information". On it you can request whatever records from the VA you wish to see, typically if you're up to date you would specify the date range you are requesting and content desired, or all. Major Depression is definately a secondary to PTSD and injuries. On my rating they went with PTSD with Mjor Depression at 30%. As it is a related issue they rate it together to "avoid pyramiding". Now if only one had been listed/diagnosed before, then you're looking at an increase.

Thats you all for the info. I kind of thought the "MDD" was secondary, and I didn't want to waste a bunch of time for nothing.

Thanks Stacy,

I'm going to take a ride to my RO then next week. I didn't know it took so long since everything is done on the computer.

Oh well, thanks again.

Michelle

Michelle,

Chances are pretty good that you will need to get your pscy doc to make notes in the computer to ROI, giving them permission to release the information you want.

Getting most mental health records, even what's contained in a C&P is a bit

different than regular physical medical records.

Now, this may turn out not to hold true in your case, but in MANY cases, this is how it goes.

OMO,

carlie