VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Inbetween Phase

Rate this question

Lottjam

Question

Hello All.

I've been following these forums for awhile, and they're really handy for information on both VocRe and the Caregiver Program. I applied to the VocRe program, and before my question I'm going to list the steps and processes that I remember in case other folks have any questions on how things went down. I know every situation is different, but from what I understand this is the basic process for most, too.

01 - Applied.
02 - Interviewed at VA Administration Center (not Health Facility)
03 - Completed required tests (You can view them here)
04 - Met with VocRe Counselor, discussed employment possibilities that are in alignment with test results
05 - Agreed on Librarian, discussed necessary credentials for employment
06 - Determined MS in Library Science as necessary, signed contract for BS in Anthropology
07 - Obtained written proof of agreement to become Librarian in original documents
08 - Obtained recorded audio proof of agreement with consent from first VocRe Rep
09 - Began School
10 - Assigned new VocRe rep with bad reputation
11 - Obtained writtten proof and audio proof of agreement for employment track of Librarian (just in case)
12 - Discussed moving to other state for MS completion
- VA will NOT cover move (is at personal expense)
- Current location's VA needs new address to forward information to VA in other state

13 - Will graduate without issue Spring 2015,
14 - Need to apply for MS program after graduation
15 - 1 year waiting period for answer from MS program

Now, my questions are as follows:

a.) Am I allowed to find some sort of job to tide over the financial gap during that one year, or will that negate my involvement in the program?
b.) If I am allowed, is there a limit to the financial income before it is considered "gainful and/or substantial employment" and eliminates me from the program?
c.) After completion of the program, will my compensation rate (currently at 60%) be lowered? I ask this because my VocRe Representative says that it will not and that the rate is mine basically until the day I die; however my brother (who has just completed the program) has assured me that ratings will lower my disability percentage after one year of employment.
d.) Did I really manage to miss all this in the contract, or is it hidden in some bill somewhere in the vast library of VA/federal documents?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide. It is really appreciated.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit!

That's a great list of the steps and I believe others here will find it helpful.

I can't answer your first couple of questions because I did not get as far along as you, but the 60% rate should be ok in most cases. Sometimes ratings are deemed temporary and have the infamous "your conditions are expected to improve" or include a date stating you will be re-examined at a certain point.

Good luck on your education! It looks like a bright future!

Hello all,

Thank you E-2 Recruit for posting your story and questions. I also have the same question. I just graduated with a Political Science Bachelor of Arts Degree with a General Business Minor. I was scheduled to go onto Law School, but the VA would not pay for a LSAT Prep Course and began dragging their feet with letting me go. The VA "Gatekeeper" will does not feel that there will be much opportunity as there are way too many lawyers in our area. I asked if I could switch to an IT related career field. She said I could if I looked into what training was required. I found the three or four courses most all jobs in the IT related career I wanted required, and she advised that she would not pay for the training because I needed to get hired first by a company that required the training, then she would pay for the training. I am looking at being without VA money for the next few months or however long this takes to beat into her head that she needs to train me before I can be hired. I am savvy with computers and want to find somewhere that will hire me in mean time so that I can earn while I try to receive the training needed. There are not any computer / IT jobs currently in my area that require the security training I am wanting like CISSP, CNNA, A+, Ethical Hacking, etc. There are help desk jobs, where you answer the phone and follow steps, but they only want to hire me as a unpaid intern. Can I work while I am in the situation? Does anyone know? Any advice with the rest would be great.

Thank you,

Retired E-5 USAF