Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Inbetween Phase

Lottjam
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

spacer.png

Question

Hello All.

I've been following these forums for awhile, and they're really handy for information on both VocRe and the Caregiver Program. I applied to the VocRe program, and before my question I'm going to list the steps and processes that I remember in case other folks have any questions on how things went down. I know every situation is different, but from what I understand this is the basic process for most, too.

01 - Applied.
02 - Interviewed at VA Administration Center (not Health Facility)
03 - Completed required tests (You can view them here)
04 - Met with VocRe Counselor, discussed employment possibilities that are in alignment with test results
05 - Agreed on Librarian, discussed necessary credentials for employment
06 - Determined MS in Library Science as necessary, signed contract for BS in Anthropology
07 - Obtained written proof of agreement to become Librarian in original documents
08 - Obtained recorded audio proof of agreement with consent from first VocRe Rep
09 - Began School
10 - Assigned new VocRe rep with bad reputation
11 - Obtained writtten proof and audio proof of agreement for employment track of Librarian (just in case)
12 - Discussed moving to other state for MS completion
- VA will NOT cover move (is at personal expense)
- Current location's VA needs new address to forward information to VA in other state

13 - Will graduate without issue Spring 2015,
14 - Need to apply for MS program after graduation
15 - 1 year waiting period for answer from MS program

Now, my questions are as follows:

a.) Am I allowed to find some sort of job to tide over the financial gap during that one year, or will that negate my involvement in the program?
b.) If I am allowed, is there a limit to the financial income before it is considered "gainful and/or substantial employment" and eliminates me from the program?
c.) After completion of the program, will my compensation rate (currently at 60%) be lowered? I ask this because my VocRe Representative says that it will not and that the rate is mine basically until the day I die; however my brother (who has just completed the program) has assured me that ratings will lower my disability percentage after one year of employment.
d.) Did I really manage to miss all this in the contract, or is it hidden in some bill somewhere in the vast library of VA/federal documents?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide. It is really appreciated.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit!

That's a great list of the steps and I believe others here will find it helpful.

I can't answer your first couple of questions because I did not get as far along as you, but the 60% rate should be ok in most cases. Sometimes ratings are deemed temporary and have the infamous "your conditions are expected to improve" or include a date stating you will be re-examined at a certain point.

Good luck on your education! It looks like a bright future!

Hello all,

Thank you E-2 Recruit for posting your story and questions. I also have the same question. I just graduated with a Political Science Bachelor of Arts Degree with a General Business Minor. I was scheduled to go onto Law School, but the VA would not pay for a LSAT Prep Course and began dragging their feet with letting me go. The VA "Gatekeeper" will does not feel that there will be much opportunity as there are way too many lawyers in our area. I asked if I could switch to an IT related career field. She said I could if I looked into what training was required. I found the three or four courses most all jobs in the IT related career I wanted required, and she advised that she would not pay for the training because I needed to get hired first by a company that required the training, then she would pay for the training. I am looking at being without VA money for the next few months or however long this takes to beat into her head that she needs to train me before I can be hired. I am savvy with computers and want to find somewhere that will hire me in mean time so that I can earn while I try to receive the training needed. There are not any computer / IT jobs currently in my area that require the security training I am wanting like CISSP, CNNA, A+, Ethical Hacking, etc. There are help desk jobs, where you answer the phone and follow steps, but they only want to hire me as a unpaid intern. Can I work while I am in the situation? Does anyone know? Any advice with the rest would be great.

Thank you,

Retired E-5 USAF

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• Advertisemnt

• question-001.jpegLooking for Answers? Here are tips for finding the answers you seek.

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. To post, you must register. Registration is free. You can register for a free account here.

You can read the forums without registering.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    • I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
        • I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed.
    • This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines

<——>