Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is The Dsm-4 Ptsd Dbq Version Dead?

Rate this question

DocNyger

Question

Hi everone, I was just going through my records and a question came up about the DBQ version used for ptsd. I am aware that the VA like to use the DSM-5 version now, Does anyone know what happens to those veterans who used the DSM-4 version or is waiting an appeal before the VA made the change? Do you think that they will make them do another c&p exam because of it... or are those veterans grandfathered in for using the DSM-4 version? Any comments are welcome....

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

In this past post:

You posted a PTSD exam from what I assume to be is a NON VA doctor.Dated May 2014.

I cannot read the handwritten parts well, but after googling him , I learned he is a psychiatrist.

The 2010 PTSD regulations require that a PTSD diagnosis MUST ciome from a VAMH professional.

Also if your stressor is not conceded by CAB, CIB, or PH on your DD214, the VA will need sufficient evidence to attempt to verify it, via JSRRC or via any evidence you send them, such as Morning reports,Deck Logs, Buddy statemenets etc etc.

Hi Berta, thank you for responding. i am aware of the new regs for PTSD 2010. I have been Diagnosed by a VA Contracted psychiatrist, and that post is the IMO examination that I went through. My question was just trying to find out how they would treat those veterans including myself who had claims for PTSD in before the new regs 2010 came out.
The VA taskes so long with claims that new regulations could posibly come out , so if that happens are those veterans claims made to start over?

This post might help:

Vync posted this info some time ago-there are some dates here to consider as to whether you fall into the new PTSD criteria.

"Here's the new PTSD FAQ: http://www.va.gov/PTSD_QA.pdf

From the new FAQ, you should be able to determine how your claim fits into this criteria.

Quick Facts: This new rule is for Veterans of any era.

The new rule will apply to claims:

- received by VA on or after July 13, 2010;

- received before July 13, 2010 but not yet decided by a VA regional office;

- appealed to the Board of Veterans' Appeals on or after July 13, 2010;

- appealed to the Board before July 13, 2010, but not yet decided by the Board; and

- pending before VA on or after July 13, 2010, because the Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims vacated a Board decision and remanded for re-adjudication. "

Edited by Berta

Thank you Berta, i understand now... the new regs seems like the catch all for the VA... i know it is suppose to be easier to obtain the diagnosis but it has to benefit the VA in some major way. I have been throught 4 different C&P exams already for PTSD, I would hate to go all the way through the appeal process and get remand to take another one. The claim and appeal process seems to big this big rat wheel...