Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing Loss And Tinnitus

Rate this question

jimshoe52

Question

I recently discovered a hearing loss in my left ear. It was an accut onset so I went to the doctor who gave me a hearing test. It was revealed that I have 70% loss in my left ear and 30% loss in my right ear. I also have tinnitus in my left ear. I talked to my Vet Rep and he advised that I should file a claim for a disability for it. He asked me what I did while in the service. I told him I was a Radioman in the submarine service. While on board we sent and received Morse code and monitored teletype signals while at sea. Sometimes the signal wasn't very good so the volume had to be turned way up. We stood 6 hr on and 12 hr off watches. We also experienced pressure differentials on the boat at times causing our ears to pop. There were loud blasts of air at times, loud machinery (i.e., diesel engine, pumps, turbines, etc.) from the engine compartment and through out the boat.

My military medical record seems to only record a pre-submarine school hearing exam. There were other audio reports in the record but I don't remember taking audio tests after assignment to my duty station. I also don't recall an exit audo test upon separation from the service. After separation from the service I'd worked in construction where I'd experience loud noises and finally, prior to retirement I worked in law enforcement. We had to requalify at the gun range twice a year. We wore hearing protection at the range. My Vet Rep said that I should file for a disability. But I'm not sure about his oppinion since I have no medical history of hearing loss since military service until now.

Based on this brief history would it be feasable to submit a claim to the Va for disability? I am currently receiving a 10% disability for back injury and awaiting a response on an appeal for a neck injury.

Hello and Happy Holidays,

Sorry about the formatting of this, I know it is not aligned correctly but I believe that both ears average a 94. If I read the VA's table correctly, I would be assigned a Roman Numeral IX for both ears. I think that IX means I need a Hearing Ear Dog :) Am I right about my assumptions? I was in the Army from 69-74 and in country 70-72 I have records from 1970 that states my MOS (11B21D) should be changed to a non combat MOS. Any further exposure to loud weapons would unduly aggravate the condition. That never happened. I have been wearing VA hearing aids since 1983.   I will paste the link to this info at the bottom which may help others to decode the results of their hearing loss. 

Thank you for any help. I posted this before and "Buck52" replied and I am certain now that his interpretation of my results was correct. 

Happy Holidays To All :) 

http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/theears.html#a

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | |========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+ | 500 | 1000 | 2000 | 3000 | 4000 | 6000 | 8000 | Avg Hz | | Hz* | Hz | Hz | Hz | Hz | Hz | Hz | (B-E)**| |========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========| | 60 | 70 | 95 | 105+ | 105+ | 105+ | 105+ | 94 | +=======================================================================+ LEFT EAR +==============================================================+ | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | |========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========+ | 500 | 1000 | 2000 | 3000 | 4000 | 6000 | 8000 | Avg Hz | | Hz* | Hz | Hz | Hz | Hz | Hz | Hz | (B-E)**| |========+========+========+========+========+========+========+========| | 60 | 65 | 100 | 105+ | 105+ | 105+ | 105+ | 94 | +=======================================================================+ * The puretone threshold at 500 Hz is not used in determining the evaluation but is used in determining whether or not a ratable hearing loss exists. ** The average of B, C, D, and E. *** CNT - Could Not Test b. Were there one or more frequency(ies) that could not be tested: No c. Validity of puretone test results: Test results are valid for rating purposes. d. Speech Discrimination Score (Maryland CNC word list): +=======================+ | RIGHT EAR | 46% | |=============+=========| | LEFT EAR | 48% | +=======================+

Edited by Grunt
Missing info

• HadIt.com Elder

I got my first hearing aid in the Navy.  I'm at the CAVC asking for a revision of the date of tinnitus.  Are any of you aware of the date of the liberalization from 0% for noise induced to 10%.  Use the following to see my problem.  1974 a 10% rating was only available to TBI victims.  My tinnitus predates my TBI by 4 years and 9 years before my discharge.

We didn't quite state the case on tinnitus.  I think I have the CUE nailed:

a)   RBA page 3106, Rating Decision date 1/22/92:

i)    “F. Service medical records show complaints of recurrent tinnitus in April 1965 and January 1968. The audiometrics done on current VA examination show average pure tone thresholds as 48 in the right ear and 63 in the left ear, with speech recognition as 88 percent and 76 percent respectively. Also shown is periodic bilateral tinnitus.”

ii)   D. Service connection is warranted for a separate diagnosis Of tinnitus at a compensable level with application of 38 CFR 3.114 (A).

iii) 2016 38 CFR 3.114(a) “…or a liberalizing VA issue approved by the Secretary or by the Secretary's direction, the effective date of such award or increase shall be fixed in accordance with the facts found, but shall not be earlier than the effective date of the act or administrative issue.”

iv) 1974 38 CFR § 3.114 Change of law or Veterans Administration issue.

(1) (a) Effective date of awards. Where pension, compensation, or dependency and indemnity compensation is awarded or increased pursuant to a liberalizing law or a liberalizing Veterans Administration issue, approved by the Administrator or by his direction, the effective date of such award or increase shall be fixed in accordance with the facts found, but shall not be earlier than the effective date of the act or administrative Issue.

v)   1974 38 CFR 4.84(b) 6260 Tinnitus ---------------------- 0 (See diagnostic codes 8045 and 8046.)

vi) 1974 38 CFR 4.124(a) 8045 Brain disease due to trauma Purely neurological disabilities, such as hemiplegia, epileptiform seizures, facial' nerve paralysis, etc., following trauma to the brain, will be rated under the diagnostic codes specifically dealing with such disabilities, with citation of a hyphenated diagnostic code (e.g., 8045-8207). Purely subjective complaints, such as headache, dizziness, insomnia, tinnitus, etc., recognized as symptomatic of brain trauma, will be rated 10 percent and no more under diagnostic code 9304. This 10 percent rating will not be combined with any other rating for a disability due to brain trauma. Ratings in excess of 10 percent for brain disease due to trauma under diagnostic code 9304 are not assignable in the absence of a diagnosis of chronic brain syndrome associated with brain trauma.

vii)       RBA page 844, Periods of steady tone were greater in Japan because of the constant additional background noise but still the 20 per day of the steady high-pitched tone seems a bit exaggerated.  Probably something lost in the translation to the Audiologist.  However, even with the translation, this is the clearest and best history of my tinnitus reported by any audiologist.

viii)      RBA pages 3149 & 3150, Audiogram dated 8/21/91, recording tinnitus but inaccurately.  My tinnitus has been constant with the bird chirping, with an intermittent steady high-pitched tone that more grossly interferes with hearing especially in a circumstance like an audiogram, since it first appeared in late 1964 during my tour on the USS Sperry AS-12 following gunnery practice and a temporary hearing deficit of everyone sounding like they were down in a well which off the record, after the practice, by a physician I was told would go away in a day or two.  As an HN E-3, at the time, all I was concerned about was getting my hearing back which I did except for the tinnitus interference which wasn’t too severe except when trying to intently listen to soft sounds when it becomes a high pitched steady tone.  So, it is intermittent in nature of interference.  Otherwise it is like a soft background noise unless competing with soft sounds.  This is the way I always describe it, but it has never been recorded in the long version except on RBA 844.

ix) RBA page 3202, Claim on my behalf by representative with no mention of tinnitus.  Given that it was granted on the review of the record under 38 CFR 3.114(a) it should have been dated from July 19, 1974.

x)   RBA pages 3484 & 3485 Audiological Case History, dated 5/24/88, recording tinnitus but with errors.  Not “since taking Elavil” as the record shows.  Worse since taking Elavil.  And not intermittent as stated above except for the difference in tone.  It is there from when I wake up and until I go to sleep and probably keeps me from dreaming most of the time.  And it has been like that since the 1963 or 1964 USS Sperry AS-12 gunnery practice.

xi) RBA pages 3955 & 3956, Audiology Case History dated 5/14/85, also reporting tinnitus but erroneously.  Is the reporting of “intermittent” because that is the usual?  Where did the “2 episodes come from” Perhaps 2 episodes of the change in tone to a high-pitched tone.  Should be mild constant with intermittent severe.

xii)       RBA pages 3965 & 3966, Audiology Case History dated 7/14/83 recording tinnitus moderate with errors as above.

xiii)     RBA pages 3987 & 3988. Audiology Case History dated 12/13/83, tinnitus reported, correctly as not in ears, incorrectly as periodic and just in morning (louder when first awakening).  Appears to include both high pitched and “birds” (high pitched; “birds.”)

xiv)      RBA pages 4328 & 4329, Audiogram dated 22 Jan 67, Audiologist did not fill out history on back.  Similar Beltone reports back was not copied.

xv)       RBA page 4462, Rating Decision dated June 25, 2015; “We determined that the following condition was not related to your military service, so service connection couldn't be granted:  Medical Description Tinnitus” This goes to the authenticity of the June 25, 2015 Rating Decision and its sloppiness.

b)   Several audiograms listing tinnitus in boxes provided on VA and Military audiogram report forms are not included in the record.  Some but not all are on the CD provided to me dated 02/15/2017.

But the VA appeal attorney may have an argument against.  My tinnitus started as a result of exposure to heavy gunnery practice (5" Naval gun) prior to my TBI, v) above.  I can counter argue the exposure to explosive concussion in current NIH studies is shown to have organic brain trauma residuals.

I'm trying to revise the date from 12/10/89 to the actual date but will probably have to settle for the revision date provided for in 38 CFR 3.114 (a) cited in the decision to grant tinnitus on 1/22/92 RBA page 3106.

Additionally there is an audiological history done in January of 2010 that states the history and constancy accurately.  But how can you fight "the record" when, because of inattentive blindness the recorder writes what they believe not what you say.  Only the first and last audiological history statements are accurate.  The first being an EENT consult not the audiology report.

Edited by Lemuel
clarity