Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Treasure Island Naval Training Center

Rate this question

SDVIKING

Question

Greetings,

Was diagnosed with B cell prolific lymphoma in 2005. That progressed into full blown ALL IN 2010. Survived that after almost a year at Mayo.

A fellow told me I should apply for disability so I started doing a little research this past week. I see that there was radioactive material on Treasure island including Cs137. One of my oncologists told me my chromosomes were damaged and that is why I contracted leukemia but he did not know why they were damaged. I see that Cs137 can cause chromosome damage. I was never exposed to agent orange but was stationed on TI 1970-1971.

Wondered if anyone had any input on this.

Thanks

"B cell prolific lymphoma in 2005. That progressed into full blown ALL IN 2010. Survived that after almost a year at Mayo."

"The Center for Investigative Reporting asked the Navy to respond to allegations from state public health regulators that the military had botched the Treasure Island cleanup, providing Navy officials with public health department emails, memos, and military archival records underlying the allegations. Rather than address specific claims, the Navy responded with a blanket statement, asserting that officials have diligently sought to clean up Treasure Island:

“The Navy’s Environmental Restoration program is a data driven, iterative, step by step process with the goal of protecting human health and the environment,” the statement said. “All cleanup work continues to be conducted under rigorous State oversight with the highest priority given to safety to ensure the public is protected.”

http://thebulletin.org/treasure-island-cleanup-exposes-navy%E2%80%99s-mishandling-its-nuclear-past

Although this article is over a year old, perhaps the CIR has done more reporting on this since.

Were you exposed to benzene a lot, due to your MOS in the Military?

B Cell lymphomas are a sub category of NHL and can be caused by prolonged exposes to benzene:

http://www.lymphoma.org/atf/cf/%7Baaf3b4e5-2c43-404c-afe5-fd903c87b254%7D/LRF%20UNDERSTANDING%20NHL%20GUIDE2.PDF

More here:

http://www.benzene-aml-leukemia.com/pages/hodgkins_disease.html

In your first post you mention these initials 'ALL'

Do you mean AML?

ORDER

Service connection for myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS)
[refractory anemia with excess of blasts, trisomy VIII] or
acute myelogenous leukemia (AML), claimed to be as a result
of dioxin or benzene exposure in service, is granted.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp08/files2/0812788.txt

I am sure he could be but he is a NeuroRadiologist..and this is an oncology matter. Still....

His IMos for me regarding diabetes mellitus so he is very proficient in many many medical matters.

Dr. BAsh and John Dorly are doing a radio show,here today even as we speak....there is time to call in ( 1-347-237-4819) if you wish and also they will give out their contact info at end of the show.

For the record, I did put together two large binders of info along with IMO's from two well known oncologists and filed a claim last May.....Just received notification that claim is "Pending Decision Approval".  I am hoping since "approval" is used in the statement it is a positive thing.

GREETINGS,

I FILED A CLAIM 5/7/2015 EBENEFITS SAYS  CLAIM CLOSED 12/3/2016 AND STATES  Development Letter Sent  Decision Notification Sent Decision Notification Sent.... I NEVER RECEIVED EITHER BY TODAY'S DATE 6/15/2016 IS THAT PETTY COMMON?

Re:

Treasure Island Naval Station

Well here I am, back again, filed claim in 2015....denied...went to appeal and just received letter saying I was formally placed on the VA's docket. Last I looked, I there were 80,000 ahead of me. Letter stated I could advance my place on the docket for three reasons, one of which being severe illness.  Well in November 2018 my AML leukemia relapsed. January, February in hospital doing heavy chemo. Still cancer cells present. now another regimen through April. Wanted to get my current oncologist to write an IMO for the appeal. Wanted to give her some of the info on the toxins and radiological items listed in the original EPA reports so she could come to her own honest conclusions. Can only find the February 2005 US Navy fact sheet which is neutered. Does anyone have a copy of the itemized EPA or California environmental lists from around the base closure era or later?